Demon's Souls: The Northern Lands

Demon's Souls: The Northern Lands

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:35 am

I had felt a great sense of purpose as I marched amongst my fellow knights. We were entering the great Northern Lands of Boletaria, the home of the Giants. The Lands had been the first to succumb to the impenetrable fog now besieging Boletaria, the once mighty Giants quickly falling victim to the hordes of Demons. King Allant had recognised the imminent danger posed by these creatures, and sent hundreds of thousands of Boletarian knights to quell the threat. I was one of those knights.

Clad in my heavy plate armour, kite shield in one hand and a longsword in the other, I felt formidable. Strong. I think we all did, that day. Our reputation as the finest fighters of Boletaria was not unfathomed, and this was our chance to prove it once more. To be the saviours of the kingdom. I think that attitude was held right up until the point when we saw them for the first time. The first row of knights stopped dead when we ascended to the top of the battlements of the destroyed castles, and saw them below us..

We had seen armies of larger sizes before and felt no fear or hesitation. But, these Demons… Every single one of them emanated an air of malice and hunger. And the mere sight of them… Most of them were humanoid in appearance; as though they had once been men, but had been twisted and corrupted to become these abhorrent shells. There were some clad in armour similar to my own, but with fierce, glowing red eyes. I fear this was the fate beheld by our missing scouting parties. Most of the Demons were great in size; their ranks contained many of the fallen Giants, now mere reflections of their former selves, having lost their free will and having only a thirst for souls. What really caught our eyes were those larger than the giants, presumably those who killed them in the first place. Humongous, scaly creatures, the blazing red eyes visible clearly even from this distance. The scariest thing was, we significantly outnumbered them at least 100 to 1 and yet, I doubt there was a single man amongst us who did not feel scared.

The heavy war drums started to beat. That was the sign. Instantly, the sky turned black, completely blotted out by our archers’ arrows, felling a number of the smaller foes. We knights charged forward, supported by our mages, watching in disbelief as the huge scaly creatures just swatted away the arrows like insect bites. I saw my former comrades fall around me, crushed by thrown boulders and masonry before we even got close to them. Not that we had any idea what to do to an opponent of that size when we actually got close enough. Pouring down what was left of the walkways, we ran right onto the field of combat, and engaged the smaller Demons. We actually saw some success here, taking down quite a few of them with only mild losses, hacking and slashing our way through as soul rays and arrows flew over our heads. A mage a couple of metres to my right burst forward, right into the middle of a group of them, and cast a great fire spell, obliterating the Demons close to him, before getting crushed to death by a Giant, who promptly turned his attention to me. He raised his club and swung it at me with all of his might. I raised my shield just in time to connect with the club, but the force knocked me off my feet and I sailed through the air, hitting a broken pillar some 10 metres away from where I was. The impact had broken my left arm and my shield, and cracked my ribs and chest plate, though I felt no pain. My vision was beginning to dim, and the last thing I saw before I blacked out was a stampede of knights charging forward at one of those scaled beats, burying their weapons into it and simply getting thrown aside or crushed.

I awoke several hours later, now in excruciating pain. I desperately wanted to remove my fluted helmet to relieve the dull, throbbing pain in my forehead, but I daren’t move for fear of what may have seen me. I glanced around, trying to keep as still as possible. This was no battle, it was a massacre. Thousands of fighters lay dead on the battlefield, broken weapons strewn everywhere. Fires were everywhere, probably caused by the mages. The frantic screams and shouting told me there was still some combat going on, but the screams of the wounded and dying were far more prominent. I finally summed up the courage to move, and stood up with great difficulty, removing my helmet with my right arm. My longsword lay beside me in several pieces. The sky was no longer dark with arrows, with only a few being fired now. I looked around, and the scenes of devastation were unlike anything I had ever seen. Literally hundreds of thousands of the great Boletarian knights lay dead or dying, the remaining few engaged in futile battles against these colossi. The few of these that lay dead were of little comfort to anyone now. There was one not too far from me, and I examined it; it resembled a pincushion, many weapons protruding from its skin amongst the magical burn marks and arrows. I reached out with my right hand and gripped the hilt of one of the few unbroken weapons and removed it, with some difficulty, to boost my confidence if not my chances of survival. It was when I turned around, gripping my new short sword in hand, that the stench of death and blood really hit me, and with it, a sense of despair. We, Boletaria’s best chance, had failed and now the rest of the kingdom was likely to fall in the same way the Giants did. There was only one thing I could do.

I forced myself to avert my eyes to the carnage and block out the screams, and return the way I came. The journey seemed to take an absolute age, but I managed to drag myself up the walkway, wincing all the way, and travel back. Finally, I reached my destination; the Archstone from which we came. Wishing my arm was capable of letting me wield a heavy, blunt weapon, I ran over to it as fast as I could. This is the only link between this world and the rest of Boletaria. I can’t destroy it from the other side, and destroying it here would mean certain death for all of the knights still alive here. Growing weaker and weaker, I made my decision and raised my short sword and began hitting and slashing it as hard as I could, pummelling it with my hilt as well as the blade. Cracks eventually started to show, but the exertion was literally killing me. I could feel the blood seeping from my chest wounds quite heavily, and every movement left me in excruciating pain. But I had to do it.

Finally, it split in the centre, and fell apart under its own weight. It’s much smaller here, but this would also crack the larger archstone on the other side. I collapsed, exhausted and light-headed. I had done what was required of me, I would just have to pray that it was enough. I can barely move now, and I’m bleeding to death. Having trouble breathing, and can’t stop trembling. I feel so cold, and the screams are growing less and less distinct.

We did what we could.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re:Demon's Souls: The Northern Lands

Postby Gosu360 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:30 am

Good read Mushi. I actually read this in the early hours of this morning but kept nodding off at work so didn\'t comment straight away.

Nice little set of DS pieces you\'ve written. I kind of feel, when reading them, that I was sat on the verge and looking in, watching the short stories happen before me such was they well descripted.

If anyone hasn\'t read the previous DS pieces by Mushi then please do so. If not, then why are you here...
Gosu360
Brigadier 2
Brigadier 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:54 pm

Hah, thanks a lot.

I think I enjoyed writing this one the most as there was little source material; the others had been based on my in-game experiences, but the scenes mentioned here are only hinted at in the game.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Axikal » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 pm

Absolutely brilliant. I dare you to submit this to Atlus.

Axikal
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:32 pm

axikal wrote:Absolutely brilliant. I dare you to submit this to Atlus.
Got an email from them earlier :D

Hi Mark,

That was an enjoyable read; thank you for sending it to us. That sounded like a very plausible story for how that archstone was sealed. You should post it up on the official Atlus forums for more exposure.

Rob Stone
QA Lead
ATLUS USA, Inc.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby junkyjunker » Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:56 pm

w00t Mushi FTW!

Nice read Mushi. Haven\'t played the game but have thought about making the purchase.
junkyjunker
Colonel
Colonel

Return to The Writers' Section