Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:54 pm

OK people, had a little idea and figured I'd try it out. Everyone knows the Choose your own Adventure books, right? Figured I'd do something along those lines and try an interactive story of sorts. I'll write a piece of the story and offer choices at the end of each passage. The next poster gets to choose which choice to make, and I'll continue the story. If nobody replies (which is unfortunately likely) I'll probably make the choice myself eventually and just carry on regardless. Nice and simple. As the topic title states, this will take place in the Fallout universe, because it's an awesome setting. I can clarify anything needed if you're unfamiliar with the series.

I had thought of a way to begin the tale but it doesn't really fit the theme of choice, so I'll offer a few selections as to how I should begin. First person to reply makes the choices. As follows;

Protagonist: Male/Female

Origin: Slave/ Brotherhood of Steel deserter/ Wastelander / Citizen

Attributes: (from 1-10, keep it balanced)
Strength:4
Perception: 6
Endurance:5
Charisma:7
Intelligence:8
Agility: 7
Luck:3

Stats will be important for how I write the character later so best to establish them now. That's it, let's go.
(edit: Remember, bad choice could very well get you killed)
Image
User avatar
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: England

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:13 pm

Male
Wastelander

Strength: 4
Perception: 6
Endurance: 5
Charisma: 7
Intelligence: 8
Agility: 7
Luck: 3
User avatar
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:42 am

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby greasedupbadger » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:51 pm

As it is mushy writing the story i would have gave the luck -1 :D
User avatar
greasedupbadger
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Anywhere I fucking want

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:53 pm

Hah, I actually burst out laughing at that, Gub.
-------------------------------------------------------
As far as life in the Wasteland goes, you haven't had it too badly. It's a harsh existence, but compared with the fate of so many others in what remains of North America, you bear it without complaint. You had a pretty easygoing job, wasn't that well paid but it kept you fed and busy. It was your job to keep a record of the numbers for your small town's mining company. Keep a track of their finances, transactions and other such things that not that long ago would have been redundant in the wastes. But Prospector's Peak was a place of growing affluence. While small, its resource output ensured a steady income, with caravans from the Far Go traders arriving fortnightly. The town population was mostly human. There was a small Ghoul community, who had fled Necropolis so many years ago and found themselves here, frequently shunned by other settlements. In fact a good portion of the mining team comprised of ghouls, they didn't mind the conditions quite as much, and they were well respected for it.

Then one day, everything changed. The wasteland was notoriously intolerant of success. It was a warm July morning when you awoke to the sound of gunfire. You almost just shrug it off and return to sleep; raiders trying to take the town was nothing new. The town's security team was easily a match for the average raider party so it was never considered a significant threat. Upon hearing an anguished scream, however, you sit bolt upright. Jumping out of bed you get dressed as quickly as possible, almost crashing to the ground as you hop on one leg while trying to get a boot on. You rush outside and are greeted by more screams. They seem to coming from the north, in the direction of the mineshaft.

Head toward the mineshaft to investigate / Look around town, see if people are OK / Go back inside
Image
User avatar
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: England

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby deathbynumbers » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:11 pm

Head toward the mineshaft to investigate
User avatar
deathbynumbers
Moderator
Moderator
 
Posts: 4064
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:28 pm
Location: Belfast

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:37 pm

Concerned about what is going on, you make off towards the mineshaft. The town doesn't seem to be in too much disarray, but then gunshots ring out loudly and repeatedly. More screams, this time from people in their makeshift houses, terrified by the noises. It only takes a couple of minutes for you to reach the mine. As you approach the entrance and take in the scene you grip your stomach in an effort not to relieve it of its contents, certainly, the site that greeted you is not an easy one to take in. Most of the security team lie dead, their now useless green combat armour shattered or punctured and stained a dark red. You step on something as you approach the bodies and pick it up; it's the barrel and stock of a Colt Rangemaster hunting rifle. The weapon had been snapped into two pieces, the other lying nearby.

Trying your best not to look, you search the remnants of the team quickly for something protective, and manage to uncover a combat knife and a 10mm pistol with just a few rounds left. Tucking them into your waistband. As far as you can tell none of the team have survived, and whatever killed them is nowhere to be seen. There's no sign of the few members of the team who are not lying here dead. The smell of cordite is heavy in the air but the screams have been replaced with a deathly silence. Still a little breathless from the run (you always could run pretty quickly but unfortunately, never for long). This clearly isn't the work of raiders. You look back towards Prospector's Peak, unsure what to do. With the town being in such a mountainous area, the only way out is back through the town.

Ready your weapons and enter the mine / Rush back to town and warn the people
Image
User avatar
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: England

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:51 pm

Rush back to town and warn the people.
User avatar
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant
 
Posts: 352
Joined: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:42 am

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:50 am

Uncertain of the nature of the threat you faced, you return to the town, trying to ignore the stich in your side from running. People are clearly scared. You try the headquarters of the security team first in a vain hope there'd be someone there. Nobody is walking the streets, it seems everybody has retreated inside at the sound of the gunfire. Cupping your hands to your mouth you yell warnings to evacuate. Many do, trusting in your reputation and carefully chosen words and quickly leaving their homes, a couple of the more excitable residents not even fully dressed yet.

Ensuring there are no residents still sleeping you start entering the makeshift houses periodically but it seems everyone has already left. However, you do find someone in the fifth house. It's Jacob,a Ghoul. One of the few not to work in the mines, he is one of the more prolific merchants in the town. You had no idea Ghouls could sleep so heavily. Fearing the worst for the rest of his community, you roughly shake him awake and hurriedly explain the situation. As he looks at you groggily you realise you've been talking over a dull thudding sound, and it seems to be getting louder... You swear you can feel it. Just as the dazed ghoul begins to rise from his filthy mattress, the flimsy wall behind him is smashed away with a deafening crash, followed by a sickening, wet sound. Before you even register what's going on your eyes focus on the huge sting protruding from Jacob's chest, stopping short just a few inches from your face. His eyes rolled downwards, perhaps attempting to figure out what happened to the majority of his torso, but he was gone in seconds. He never stood a chance.

You look up and try to take in the huge figure. You'd never seen a Radscorpion in this area before, certainly never this big before, and the pale skin of this one told you it was an Albino. They can usually be dealt with, or so the caravan guards had told you, but this was something else. Your studies had already given you the bad news; its venom was extremely potent. Your copy of the Vault Dweller's Survival Guide told you that Radscorpions had been known to reach the size of the Corvega cars often used by travelling merchants, this must be what they looked like. As you process this you hear another sickening sound as the sting is retracted and Jacob falls to the floor, his long life put to a sudden end. The tail of the huge beast raised high into the air and, anticipating what's coming, you just about manage to dodge the incoming blow in a move that undoubtedly saved your life. It snaps its pincers in frustration and begins to completely demolish the wall, so that it can move in for the kill. You draw the pistol in one hand and the knife in the other.

Fight the creature / Try to escape
Image
User avatar
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: England

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby greasedupbadger » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:47 am

Try to escape
User avatar
greasedupbadger
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 3088
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: Anywhere I fucking want

Re: Fallout: Choose your own Adventure

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:36 pm

You sized the huge Radscorpion up and your grip on your weapons falters. You know trying to engage it is pointless, with so little ammo for a weak handgun. Radscorpions don't tend to have any exploitable weak spots like other creatures, and a near-empty 10mm pistol is close to useless. You very much doubted you had the strength to cause any noticeable damage with your combat knife. you never were an accomplished fighter, preferring instead to fight battles of wits. Radscorpions, however, are notably closed to negotiations. You vaguely remember hearing that Albino breeds have even been known to kill NCR Ranger Veterans.

Clearly, running is the only option here. Trying to slow it down briefly you fire two shots at the creature's pale pink eyes while backing away. The giant creature barely seems fazed. As it raises its tail again you dart out of the entrance of the ruined house and dash down the dirt road that runs through the centre of town. After a few seconds you hear more crashing and a horrific creaking sound, and turn around just in time to witness the house collapse on the creature. It only takes a few seconds for it to break out of the rubble and resume its assault, and in turn, for you to resume your retreat. The thing is fast, alarmingly fast, but you are faster, scared, and pumped full of adrenaline. You escape the town, knowing that you won't be able to return and half expecting the arthropod of unusual size to completely demolish the once prosperous town.

You sit down on the dusty earth, the huge Radscorpion seemingly long gone, and try to ignore your pounding heart, dry throat and aching legs. Contemplating what step to take next, you try to get your bearings and figure out where the locations known to you lie. To the north you recall a major source of water, you deduce that it is the direction most likely taken by the other residents, though you cannot see any tracks yet. You know there is another mining community to the east, but you are pretty sure it is long put out of action. To the West is only more rock, you know of no route, and you do not know what is to the South.

Try and track your fellow Wastelanders / Head North / Head East / Head South
Image
User avatar
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator
 
Posts: 8025
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 5:38 pm
Location: England

Next

Return to The Writers' Section

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron