Prey

Gaming Forum For Multi-Platform Games

Prey

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:26 pm

Anyone else tried the Prey demo?

I just played most of it (actually didn't finish it) and I must say I'm very much in two minds about it. It seems like it has the potential to be a great game; very much a PseudoShock. I like the look of it a lot. But I absolutely cannot get past the controls, it feels like I'm trying to manoeuvre an HGV when I'm moving my character. It absolutely sucks the enjoyment from it. It even extends to the hacking minigame, whose fiddly controls make it one of the worst I've seen.

I feel like if they can improve the controls it will pretty much be a must buy, but in its current state I find it really hard to justify.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Prey

Postby Mi2Lethal » Thu May 18, 2017 12:55 pm

A bit late for this but I only finished the demo like a week ago, the premise seems interesting and that opening scene was really good. It definitely gave me some Bioshock vibes i must say, especially when you pick up the wrench at the start which by the way seemed to have similar animation to the one in Bioshock :shock: . But it wasn't enough to guarantee a purchase, at least not at full price, it is a campaign only game after all.

With the controls I think it's just a matter of getting used to it, wasn't too bad from what i remember.
Mi2Lethal
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu May 18, 2017 1:49 pm

I definitely don't agree that being campaign only is a bad thing, I might give the demo another try and see if I feel differently about the controls but I really wasn't keen on them.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby LeonardoD » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:56 pm

Man I was so looking forward to Prey but it eneded up being a flop, at least for my taste. Shame.
LeonardoD
Apprentice
Apprentice

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:00 pm

Welcome to PGz. I remember watching trailers for Prey 2.. must be a few years back now. Looked like a lot of fun, then they canned it. I lost interest after that. Seems to be a trend recently where Publishers own an IP and have to make a game with it, but there often doesn't seem to be that much thought apart from, here's a big name, this should sell. Make sure it's similar to another recent popular game. Call of Duty.. or in this case, Bioshock apparently. I'm all Call of Duty and Bioshocked out personally, would have much rather played what they had in mind originally.

Mass Effect is another one they put minimal effort into for the latest sequel, and shock, it didn't sell bucket loads either just on the name alone. Too many publishers looking to take shortcuts and make an easy bit of money rather than making the best game they can make.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Return to Games