Microsoft unveils HoloLens

Microsoft hardware and exclusive games.

Microsoft unveils HoloLens

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:25 am

Starting with the Oculus Rift, and taking a leap with Google Glass... Microsoft came out of no where and took the lead in the field with some serious Tony Stark shit.

The HoloLens will allow users to interact with 3D holograms in their own living room.

The HoloLens will be compatible with Windows 10 (because apparently Microsoft executives skipped grade school, and are unaware there are numbers in between 8, 8.1 and 10)

And you will see it will make its way over to Xbox compatibility to rival the Rift and Project Morpheus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAKfdeOX3-o#t=175

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsofts-hol ... minecraft/

And to think, when the Oculus Rift first came out, and I told all of you the Virtual Reality headsets were going to be the future of gaming, you all doubted me.

But I knew where things were going. Technology is starting to get far enough for them to do incredible things in the field, and this shit is way too cool to not incorporate into gaming.

The real question is how much will this shit cost. Right now, an Oculus Rift Development kit goes for about $350, they are projecting Morpheus will go below that, and when the final Rift releases, it is expected in a $200-$400 range. Presumably, closer to the $200. HoloLens doesn't have an estimated tag yet.

Google Glass, which has nothing to do with gaming, it focuses more on life management, like a smartphone on your face, prices around $2,000, it does everything a smartphone can do, minus games and apps... so in otherwords, nothing too cool. Test version are in limited supply, so only a select few people can even by one, and the latest I heard on it, is Google shelfed the project anyways.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Re: Microsoft unveils HoloLens

Postby gigitygigity » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:34 am

Until the ditch the fuck off massive glasses that go with it, it won't be a success. My opinion.
gigitygigity

Postby jloco11 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:31 pm

a3grlmreaper wrote:And to think, when the Oculus Rift first came out, and I told all of you the Virtual Reality headsets were going to be the future of gaming, you all doubted me.

Wii sold 100 million units based on motion control gaming. How has that been working out 8 years later?

VR has been around for over 25 years now (28 to be exact) in some form or another and yet to catch on. Just because Microsoft is third in line to do something (motion controls) doesn't mean it's going to be a success or the future of gaming.

This is a fad, brought on by hype of an old product being made to seem "new". Remember 3D movies? 3D gaming with better glasses than those shitty blue & red plastic pieces of shit? That was just a recycled idea from the 80's that had a 1 year run of popularity only for it to die out again.

Like every other gaming fad that came before it, VR will initially sell, and then crash & burn. The novelty will drive initial sales, then the 28 years of "this is cool....... now what?" will kick in 6 months later and sales will disappear. Gaming has been very consistent in terms of peripherals for 30+ years now dating back to the original NES. Players don't buy peripherals after the initial sale. From racing wheels, to motion controls, to 3D games, to that glove thingy NES did, to plastic guns like duck hunt (the most successful only because of Duck Hunt).

I don't know why any of these companies think VR will be any different than what's already been seen. This path has been traveled before, and it always ends up in the same place.
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:06 pm

When VR can match Gunmen of the Apocalypse, or hell even ReBoot, I'll be really excited. Until then I really don't care much
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:28 pm

The problem with the wii is it was directed for the casual gamer market, and failed to provide a smooth functionality in non-casual games.

VR has been a failure because it sucked ass until now. How do you expect them to develop a successful VR experience in a time period where the concept of circles kicked their ass.

VR has spent years as a failure since this is the first time there has been a major push in the field in over a decade. No one else has tried it. Until the Rift, everyone had given up on the field, it sucked in the old consoles, but times have changed. We have new, polished consoles, just waiting for someone to test their limits. The industry is ready to give it another try. They're pushing the envelope again.

We now have games that would be fun in Virtual Reality. Of course it failed 20 years ago.. who the fuck wants to play Pong on a VR headset.

Back in July, Oculus hit 100,000 sales on their developer kit. Not the retail model... their developer kit.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby jloco11 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:41 pm

The same logic, was said about 3D gaming when it was brought back from the dead:

"Imagine COD in 3D!.... I can't wait to see FIFA in 3D! Or baseball where I appear to get hit with more balls in the face than Richard Simmons at the Blue Oyster!". Consoles went 3D compatible, no games used it. Gamers didn't want it and played games as always.

Microsoft wanted to base Xbone on the Kinect 2.0 alone with all the gadgets, bells and whistles. 1 year later, how many games utilized it? How many gamers refused to buy the console because of Kinect being mandatory at the time?

VR doesn't have these issues that will plague it, it will have it's own. Aside from support, price, functionality and novelty, after the fun factor wears off, what use will it be to gamers? Same way swinging an imaginary light saber in your living room sounded great 6 years ago with kinect, or looking like a wiitard playing digital bowling was fun, the novelty of it wears off.... and gamers go back to what they treat traditional games as.

The majority of gamers want to buy a game on a disc, sit in front of a tv, play it for hours, and then move on to the next disc based game. Downloads still lag massively behind disc sales (in this day and age, who buys CD's compared to downloading music?). 3D is non-existent, kinect has terrible games, Sony Move has absolutely no gaming support, Wii U confuses the shit out people who don't want the dual screen.

Developer kit sales are usually for tech obsessed people, not just gamers. The core market VR gaming wants, is the hardest market to crack when it comes to something new. My guess for all the VR gaming related tech is that it will sell like crazy the first 2 months, die out like every other fad over the next 10 months (1 full year) and within 3 years be either obsolete or used at amusements parks like the original VR sets years ago.
jloco11

Postby a3grlmreaper » Fri Jan 23, 2015 9:28 pm

Guess we will just need to wait and see. To me, it looks like too many big companies are soaking too much money into this for it to not have likelihood of taking off.

We're capitalist. It's all about making money, and they wouldn't invest in anything they weren't sure they could make their money back on.

Outside of the gamer market, someone pointed out to me the great training potential this has.

VR has been used it tactical training previously, but this hologram shit could take it to a whole new level.

I don't have any experience with what they've been using, the closes I've come was a Convoy Simulator, which was a trailer with projectors and screens doing a 360 all around the room. Then we had a replica humvee, and air compressed rifles with laser hit detection on the screens. Then it was a big open world, with many different factors that could be programmed in. It was all pretty cool.

Now if this thing does what they're claiming it can do, if the hologram interaction thing works like they say, and it blends VR and RL together, that could be something worth looking at.

Of course, it's Microsoft... so it probably isn't as good as they're trying to make you think it is.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Return to Microsoft