VR Games

VR Games

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:46 pm

So Boss asked me earlier about VR games and instead of having my power constrained by character limits I thought I'd post here instead. Feel free to add your own recommendations!

Firstly I wanted to mention shooters, as that was the subject in question. FPS games can be difficult with VR as everyone has different thresholds of motion sickness and this is one of the worst genres to cause it. I like to break it into three categories; Free, Rails and Static. Free shooters you move around in, rails shooters the game moves you, and static has you stay in place. Motion sickness tends to be worst with free shooters. Unfortunately I have only tried a small selection of the VR titles on offer but here's some I like.

Full

Farpoint

I may be a little bit biased because I need someone to play co-op with, but Farpoint is a nice solid shooter. The challenge modes are very difficult, the game world is pretty interesting, and the weapons are fairly varied and mostly satisfying to use. I did feel like the ending was a little anticlimactic, but it's worth playing. However, much like...

Arizona Sunshine

...you won't get full usage out of it unless you have the VR Aim controller, or whatever the fuck they called it. The controller is actually really good, but it's a pricey bit of kit that isn't yet widely supported. AZ also supports Move controllers, and interestingly alters the game depending on what you use. With the Aim or the dual shock you use two handed weapons like rifles, and with Move controllers, you use handguns. Anyway, it is a zombie shooter with a surprisingly decent story; it's not all that eventful but it's nice listening to the main characters thoughts as you go along. Gameplay is pretty decent, but it is clearly poorly ported from Oculus and I won't make excuses for that. The survival mode is poorly built enough that I'm avoiding finishing it for now. But it's a worthwhile experience, and much more slowly paced than Farpoint, so more forgiving for motion sickness.

I don't have experience with it yet but Borderlands 2 VR just released and that looks like it would be a lot of fun if you enjoy the series.
Also of note is Superhot VR. It's very well received, with a time stoppage mechanic that is pretty interesting, and unlikely to cause motion sickness compared to other games. I can't stand the audio enough to play it though.

Rails

Until Dawn: Rush of Blood

This is the game I first got with VR and I bought extra Move controllers just for it. A horror themed rails shooter based on the Until Dawn universe, it's really very good. The levels are interesting, the collectibles are interesting to look for, and some levels present alternative routes for extra replayability. Well recommended, but the whole 'being on a rollercoaster' thing might make people feel off.

Static

Pixel Gear

Cheap and cheerful, it's a short game that nonetheless is pretty fun. Unsurprisingly using pixel style graphics, you are given a gun and have to fend off waves of enemies and ultimately a boss for three different levels. Nice art style, solid shooting, a couple of different weapons. Pretty entertaining for a low cost but don't expect it to last weeks.

Shooty Fruity

While I haven't spent ages on this game, it's really fun. You are a supermarket cashier who finds themselves under attack from sentient fruit. You have to take the fruit out while still performing your cashier duties and scanning products. It's an amusing setup and it makes for pretty fast paced and entertaining gameplay that escalates quickly.

Other suggestions

The Playroom VR

Absolutely required for VR owners. It's free and has some really fun games; they require at least one other person to properly enjoy in most cases, but it's varied, entertaining, and a great way to get other people involved, especially if they don't really play games as they often don't need a controller.

Accounting +

One of Dan Harmon's creations (of Rick and Morty fame), if you don't like his humour you might not get on with this, but if you do it's a must play. Surreal, with a surprising amount to uncover despite a somewhat short length.

Resident Evil 7

Even if you've already finished the game before, VR works so well with it it's entirely worth a replay. Still my favourite VR experience.

Battlezone

While flawed, with a platinum that I currently fucking hate, this tank-based combat sim is pretty strong once you get over the initial difficulty. The Tron-style graphics are really appealing and it has a pretty nice soundtrack too. Co-op play is also quite entertaining.

Crystal Rift

Just kidding, this game is awful

Recommended Demos
Ancient Amuletor
Tethered
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: VR Games

Postby thebossofgloss » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:22 pm

Thanks mush.

I won’t give up on farpoint. I changed the turning movement or whatever to ‘smooth’ as I didn’t like the fact you can’t turn by default. I don’t like the sort of turning in phases either. It’s just weird, Firewall is like that but I’ve not looked yet to see if I can change it. Now that I’m prepared for farpoint making me feel sick I’m sure I’ll have another go!

I do want to pick up a motion controller. Or 2? And hadn’t heard of the gun (aim controller) either.

Think I might take a look at the Until Dawn game :)

Any other VR games you’d reccommend? Both the girlfriend and me have been playing Astro Bot and have even had our 3 year old son in the headset! So it’s been a nice game for everyone actually, wouldn’t mind picking up another platform style game. Though from what I’ve read Astro Bot is the best of the bunch!

Cheers!
Digital athlete, Prestige Gamerz Call Of Duty clan leader, UKHQ original member and Co-founder of team 'SO INTENSE' :P
thebossofgloss
Captain 2
Captain 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:58 pm

thebossofgloss wrote:Thanks mush.

I won’t give up on farpoint. I changed the turning movement or whatever to ‘smooth’ as I didn’t like the fact you can’t turn by default. I don’t like the sort of turning in phases either. It’s just weird, Firewall is like that but I’ve not looked yet to see if I can change it. Now that I’m prepared for farpoint making me feel sick I’m sure I’ll have another go!

I do want to pick up a motion controller. Or 2? And hadn’t heard of the gun (aim controller) either.

Think I might take a look at the Until Dawn game :)

Any other VR games you’d reccommend? Both the girlfriend and me have been playing Astro Bot and have even had our 3 year old son in the headset! So it’s been a nice game for everyone actually, wouldn’t mind picking up another platform style game. Though from what I’ve read Astro Bot is the best of the bunch!

Cheers!
The motion controllers definitely improve the experience for certain games, and especially so for the aim controller. Try one out if you can. Nothing compares to actually bringing the controller up to your face to aim down the sights, and moving feels really fluid with it.

I would definitely recommend The Playroom VR; I think your son would get a kick out of it in or out of the headset. For example, one game has you playing a sheriff and you walk into a saloon which a bunch of Astro-bot looking characters. A bounty poster is shown on the TV and the other people in the room have to quickly describe him to the VR player to make sure they choose the right character. He would also probably like Domino Craft VR.

Tumble VR is worth a play, some of the puzzles can be a little frustrating but it's generally quite interesting and works fine with just the DS4.

Try the demo of The Persistence, I haven't bought the game yet (damn backlog) but the demo is good and I know Fatman is fond of it. Horror games work really well in VR.

Killing Floor Incursion looks excellent but I don't have this yet; planning to get it soon if you can wait on feedback for it.

If you have any interest in rythm games, Rez Infinite and Thumper are really good.

Surgeon Simulator looks really fun but would benefit from having motion controllers I think.

Harmonix VR is interesting but it's just like a really cool music visualiser that you can do art with rather than a game, so maybe look out for it if it's pretty cheap just to try it.

Also make sure to download both of the two demo compilations for some nice variety. There is also a free Call of Duty experience; I haven't tried it but thought it worth mentioning.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thebossofgloss » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:42 pm

Ooooo a call of duty experience! :-D

Thanks for all the advice, a move controller/aim controller I think I want first, the more I play of Firewall and Farpoint the more I realise how beneficial it'll be. Holding the dual shock up to my face to look down the sight of a gun is a bit weird :|

Should have Atsro Bot beaten within the next day (not trophy wise) and then I'll be onto something else.

So far I'm very impressed with the whole VR thing though, it was a Christmas gift and was totally unexoected. I'd never even tried one before but I love how it feels like a totally different type of gaming. Something brand new and fresh.

Actually makes me want to play more.
Digital athlete, Prestige Gamerz Call Of Duty clan leader, UKHQ original member and Co-founder of team 'SO INTENSE' :P
thebossofgloss
Captain 2
Captain 2

Postby thebossofgloss » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:53 pm

Just got the platinum trophy for Astro Bot :-D

Probably one of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played and some right tricky trophies in there too! Loved it.
thebossofgloss
Captain 2
Captain 2

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:37 pm

thebossofgloss wrote:Just got the platinum trophy for Astro Bot :-D

Probably one of the most enjoyable games I’ve ever played and some right tricky trophies in there too! Loved it.
Nice! I had a look at the demo and it looks really fun. It'll probably be the next VR game I play.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:28 pm

I just got the Astro bot plat as well, brilliant game, well worth playing. Still waiting for Dreams to see what's possible on VR in that. Could be pretty dangerous to let the commmunity loose on those VR tools! Might go back to The Persistance at some point, that was a lot of fun.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:15 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:Still waiting for Dreams to see what's possible on VR in that. Could be pretty dangerous to let the commmunity loose on those VR tools!
Dicks. Just dicks everywhere.

Also I really do need to get into The Persistence
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Return to PlayStation 4