Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Postby dazzafett » Tue May 29, 2012 4:42 pm

Uncharted golden Abyss is the first Uncharted game not to actually be developed by Naughty Dog who instead have just overseen the development done by SCE Bend Studio.

Although the games events take place prior to those in Drakes Fortune it has not an official Prequal but instead a separate original story line.
Without spoiling any of the plot the general basis of the story sees Nate assisting an old friend and his young partner search some old temple ruins in Panama.
The games Prologue sets out to teach you all that is required to navigate your way through the game using the Unique controls.
However this sequence is cut short and you are sent back two weeks to a point where the adventure really starts.

So other than the story what is the difference between this Uncharted Game and the 3 other PS3 games.
Well the main thing is obviously the different controls that you can use to navigate, explore and fight.
Although full use of the Front and Rear Touch screen has been made you can however in a lot of situations still if you choose use the standard controls that are so familiar to you.
However what you will find is that a lot of the time you will be using the touch screen which often becomes more of an asset than a hindrance for the most part. Each person will settle on their preferred method of control but to completely ignore the touch screen and tilt functionality is a great waste of the VITAs resources.
For example anyone that has played an Uncharted game before will know that climbing around rock faces or climbing up ladders and ropes is a big part of Uncharteds game play. However whereas before your only option was to use the directional analog sticks in combination with the x and o buttons to leap or drop down, you can now simply by touching the screen trace your finger along the route you want Drake to take and then watch him move along instead of having to continually press the x button to jump and grab. Also when on a Rope you now have the option of tilting your VITA backwards and forwards to get Drake to swing and even run your finger up and down the rear touch pad to get him to climb or desend the rope.

As i said each person will settle on their own preferrence and i have to say i fully utilised the trace your route technique for climbing , however i actually preferred to hold down O when desending a rope or ladder instead of using the rear pad to do so. In contrast tho i loved the ability when using a Scoped Sniper Rifle to use the rear touch pad to quickly and easily zoom in and out while at the same time using the tilt ability to fine tune your aiming which is critical on the hard and crushing modes.

Other differences with this game is when it comes to collectables. Throughout the story there are now a number of different collectables from the bog standard Treasures on the PS3.
You now have Fortunes, Mysteries and Bounties to collect.
Fortunes consist of finding 4 different types of treasures totalling 96 in all that are scattered around the different chapters in the usual Uncharted way.
Then there are 12 different Mysteries to solve as well. Each of these mysteries contain from 10 to 13 different elements to them however some of the elements are split into 4 parts for a total of 165 different things that have to be found.
Now a few of these Mystery elements are story based so you will automatically get them along the way however most need to be searched for and consist of simply finding an item, Taking a Photograph of a specific location or item (statue for example) or performing Charcoal rubbings by rubbing your finger aver the screen (many of which are broken up into four parts that need to be found separately and then pieced together.
Other items include things like torn up maps and photos that need to be put back together like a jigsaw, or sometimes items need to be cleaned by rubbing your finger over the item on the front screen and then using the back touch pad to turn the item so that you can clean the other side.
There is even one part theat requires you to physically hold the Vita up to a very bright light to enable for some invisible ink to be read.
All this makes for a much more hands on approach to the game.
Lastly for the collectables is all the different Bounties that you need to collect which in total is 141 of them. They are split into 5 different types like coins, Cards or Gem Stones but to collect them all its the same process. Now Bounties are actually randomly dropped by the enemy when you kill them however fortunately they are automatically added to your inventory so you do not need to physically pick them up. However the drop rate can be quite rare at times so in order to get them all you are going to have to do a hell of a lot of killing if you want that Platinum Trophy.
The Game requires you to play through at least twice as you do not unlock crushing until completing the game on one of the other difficulties. However you will not even come close to getting all the Bounties on two play throughs so your options are to either 1) Keep playing through the story until you have them all 2) Farm kills in certain Chapters by killing as many people as possible and then restarting the checkpoint before the story continues or 3) try and trade them on the Black Market.
Now to trade them in the Black Market what you have to do connect up to the VITAs NEAR function which detects other people playing the game in your close vicinity plus also anyone playing the game on your friends list and then offering trades of items that you are missing.
However my experience is that the black market trade offers are far to infrequent and so farming Chapters for Kills to increase the drop rate seems like the best way to get them all although this will take some time.

So to sum up...
I am going to give Uncharted: Golden Abyss a 9/10
The games Graphics are very crisp and look stunning on th VITAs great screen and as with all the other Uncharted games it has a good story and great game play.
For the Trophy Hunter there is a lot more to do with all the collectables than there was in UC3 plus all the kills Trophies have higher requirements.
It also seems to be more of a challenge than UC3 was but that may just be due to getting used to the difference in the controls as it is still not what i would regard as a Hard game.
You will also need to put in more time overall to get that Platinum compared to UC3 but thats a good thing as i thought UC3 was too short really.

So Is it better or worse than the PS3 games tho.
Well IMO it is on par with them overall and does the franchise justice.
Although some of the Exclusive features that the VITA offers does set it asside from the others and offers a different gaming experience, it does however lack what i would call the WOW factor that things like the Train and Plane sequences in the other games delivered. That is just being extremely picky tho.
Last edited by dazzafett on Wed May 30, 2012 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Re: Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Postby deathbynumbers » Tue May 29, 2012 6:18 pm

I didn't know you could use the rear touchpad to zoom the sniper or tilt to aim and I have the platinum. Haha

I could do the black market trades more often if you want? I keep forgetting and barely do one a week lol I could do enough the give you all the bounties in a couple of days lol
deathbynumbers

Postby dazzafett » Wed May 30, 2012 10:19 am

LOL DBN, someone didnt pay attention during the tutorials!
The rear pad zoom and tilt to aim functions are some of the best features :-)

Yeah just keep logging into the Black Market to offer up trades as they all help.
I have collected two Bounties from you already but i have actually been getting a lot of drops from farming sections for the gun kills as i go through Crushing.
Im at Chapter 20 now and already completed one set of Bounties for pieces of Silver already as i farmed for the 200 GAU-19 kills in chapter 16.
Also i still need to Farm kills for the RPG and SAS-12 as they are my last Gun Trophies to get so will no doubt pick up a lot of bounties when i find a good spot to do those two weapons.

I want to try and get the Platinum before the weekend but im not sure i will get enough time to play.
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed May 30, 2012 12:59 pm

Sounds like it has some nifty features compared to the PS3 version, good start to showing off some of what the Vita can do.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby dazzafett » Wed May 30, 2012 3:41 pm

Yes it seems that as this is the Flagship release title for the VITA it makes full use of all the interactive controls.
The good thing is tho that for the most part other than certain sections you can still navigate around and fight using the conventional controls if you prefer them so you just go with what suits you best.

If you look at the picture that has been added to the OP you will see that on aiming the receptacle is slightly off target but a small tilt of the VITA over to the left has you aiming right at his head.
I thought it added something to the game and made it far more sensitive giving you more control but again you could just re aim with the left analog stick instead if you prefer.

Another nifty feature is when you lob a grenade you can either just tap the nade symbol to throw it in the set direction that your facing as per how you do it on the PS3 or instead you can pick up the nade and trace over the screen with your finger to pinpoint the exact place you want the nade to land which i though was a nice touch.

Other uses of the controls can see you tilting the VITA to avoid rocks during a mudslide or to keep balance when traversing across a log or plank of wood to stop you from falling.
You also have to swipe your finger over the screen in indicated directions to cut down bamboo with your machette or perform QTEs in the the Boss Battles.

I found a happy medium between using the more conventional controls and the new VITA style controls
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby dazzafett » Thu May 31, 2012 2:42 pm

Arrrggghhhhhhhh
I have encounted my very first Glitched Trophies!!!
On Chapter 26 i have to perform 4 Charcoal rubbbings yet only 2 are showing up as being able to do. I have since searched the web to ensure i had the correct locations as i am standing right next to
what appeared to be rubbings and i am definately in the right spot but it wont allow me to do them and other people have encountered the same problem.
I have tried starting the chapter again and also tried doing it on different difficulties but still no joy.
If i dont get these rubbings then it will stop me from getting 4 different Trophies inc the Platinum.

The only thing i can try now is once i have every other Trophy to start a brand new game and do a 3rd complete playthrough in the hope that it does not glitch again! So dam annoying.

EDIT!
Panic Over i have now managed to get the 2 rubbings i needed!
It seems that after a much closer inspection of some videos the 2 i was missing were on an identical set of statues towards the end of the chapter instead of at the start!
The ones that were not showing up i had already got on my first playthrough!
So lets put it down to a User Error LOL
Blooming confusing tho!
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby deathbynumbers » Thu May 31, 2012 4:09 pm

yeah that shit gets confusing fast unless your really familiar with the maps/areas lol
deathbynumbers

Postby dazzafett » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:28 pm

Finally got the Platinum on a very enjoyable game.
Had to do a fair amount of farming kills for the last bounties.
Had a bit of trouble with the Steel Fist mater Trophy as I kept messing up the 10 kill streak of one punch kills after softening up with gunfire but I got there in the end.
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby deathbynumbers » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:58 pm

Congrats! Means I can stop doing near updates 4 times a day. Haha
deathbynumbers

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:51 pm

This is a very impressive launch game, think I've put about 3 hours into it so far. It feels very Uncharted. Just how good the game is in its entirity I can't say yet, but it's clearly going to be good stuff.

To be honest it doesn't really suit what I use a handheld for. I tend to play games during lunch breaks or when my partner is watching tv that doesn't particularly interest me, or if I'm waiting for something like a service on my bike, etc. So I need games that are suited to quick bite size games. This game really needs the volume cranked up & longer play periods to get the most out of it. Not a criticism, but worth noting I think.

There are a lot of cut scenes and good dialogue. I love that about games like this. But yes, not the perfect Vita game that I'm looking for personally. Very good at what it tries to do though, & I'll do my best to make the time to complete it.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Next

Return to PlayStation Vita