Headbanger's Guide #13 - 2112

Headbanger's Guide #13 - 2112

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:14 am

Surprise, surprise! I'm back mother fuckers!
Welcome back my lovely readers, to the thirteenth guide of my metal music journey. I promised Mark that he would enjoy this one, and here we are. Rush has always been the band that stood the test of time, and they are CANADIAN! Awesome! No matter how far into their career, they never fail me. There are good albums and bad albums, but most of the bad ones, are compared to good albums of other bands. They're just THAT GOOD. That being said, 2112 was a very important album in their career, reviving the band from their short career at the time, and helped bring them into stardom. However, I just can't get into the whole album. I feel like a few songs on it were just.. Too similar to the debut album. I can't say I ever really enjoyed their first album. Sorry.

Anyways, 2112. Here we are.

(Goes to look for YouTube video link)...
[30 links later]
Son of a bitch. YouTube has this placed locked down. Fuckers won't let me play the song in Canada. Like really? I live in their home country, so go fuck yourself.

Anyway.. The epic is an excellent collection of songs that flow extremely well and are very good seeing as it was one of the few attempts at an epic EVER at that time. The song stands at about 20 minutes long, being pretty average for an epic, and the use of sounds are all over the place. There are slow, quiet moments, and rocking headbanging metal rhythms as well. We will be talking about each part of the song, since an epic is split into separate parts. The descriptions will be slightly brief, since I recognize I describe things an awful lot and it begins to get repetitive. I am still working on that, but practise makes perfect of course. Moving along...

Part 1 - Overture
That guitar part.. Just absolutely wicked. The time signature changes, the heavy guitar, the drum beats, it all comes together extremely well. It flows along and although it's mostly an instrumental, you can still feel and imagine what could be pictured in the situation of the music. There are many different ways to look at it, but all that matters is the epic sound it creates.

Part 2 - Temples Of Syrinx
Just when you thought Geddy couldn't sing high enough, he sings even higher. He IS the meaning of singing like a banshee. On the other side of things, guitar and bass parts are really cool in this song, and the drums is very complex and well drawn through, so to speak. I think I would have to say this is my favourite part of the epic.

Part 3 - Discovery
I can't wait to share this song to you, you people will all see its life. Let them all see it's legacy, please don't mind me just singing.
Shut up, I tried.

Part 4 - Presentation
I feel like this part was the most important part. It shows the negativity of people and how it makes the targeted person react (hence the guitar solo at the end, showing a sign of anger building up). The sounds are slow and confident until the men speak their thoughts, where it gets more heavy and distorted, to make a negative tone. It comes together well, plain and simple.

Part 5 - Oracle: The Dream & Part 6: Soliloquy
This part is okay. Both 5 and 6 are just simply okay. Not much to say, but they are slow, dark and slightly depressing, really. However, it brings the message well, and I think that it deserves praise while it's not much more than a way to bring a dark ending to an enchanting story.

Part 7 - Grande Finale
The song picks up the pace and we feel the mutual feelings we had on Overture. It's a fast paced, heavy guitar, rockin piece. Extremely well made, and organized to feel rather apocalyptic to the story's ending. Although it continues to not speak words, it still brings a message from the sounds and the characteristics of the songs flow that we require in order to create this vision in our imagination. The Grande Finale is simply delightful, and I find myself jamming out to this part every single time.

Well, that's 2112. Short and sweet, and getting right to the point. It looks like I won't be doing Death Magnetic anytime soon, according to demand. It looks like some people want to hear about Goth Metal next. So, stay tuned for some Evanescence with their self titled album from 2011. You'll have to hear from me in about a month, I'll be in Florida until the 2nd of January, and right after I have lots of work to do on outside projects. So thank you guys for being so patient, and...
Until next time, farewell.
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Headbanger's Guide #13 - 2112

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:32 am

2112 isn't one of my favourite Rush pieces but it's still damn good. I keep seeing a deluxe edition for sale, hard not to buy it. I gather that the song is supposed to be split up, but in my iTunes library at least it's just the one long, 20 minute song so I never really thought of it any differently.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Headbanger's Guide #13 - 2112

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:2112 isn't one of my favourite Rush pieces but it's still damn good. I keep seeing a deluxe edition for sale, hard not to buy it. I gather that the song is supposed to be split up, but in my iTunes library at least it's just the one long, 20 minute song so I never really thought of it any differently.

Yeah unfortunately the disk itself suffers the same fate. So, the internet gives the best solution to that. :-D
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Return to Music