Avenged Sevenfold Documentary Draft

Avenged Sevenfold Documentary Draft

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:52 am

EDIT: FINALLY WORKED ON IT A BIT! YAY!

I decided to make a documentary for a film festival nearby.

I didn't actually finish it cause I got caught up in sleeping and being a lazy fuck.

So, I decided, why not post what I have in my script so far here? :) maybe I'll edit it out once I add more to it and when I'm finished I'll be sure to edit it here on this post or link you to a website that includes it.

I'll be honest, it's not exactly top notch, but I'm not a reporter so, I don't have the experience. I'm just purely an average Canadian asshole. ;-)

(Save Me begins the scene)

Hello everyone, this is Tyler Lamanna. There are a lot of bands in this world, and billions of songs to choose from. There are many genres of music, which also include hundreds of sub-genres. A large community of people are a part of the heavy metal genre. Metal is not for everyone, there's no possible way you could make anyone like such a powerful and fast paced sound.

There are many different sub-genres deep inside the metal scene. We have Glam, Shock Rock, Black Metal, Liquid Metal, even Techno Metal, and Viking Metal! However, there has always been one type of metal that would definitely change my life, the way I think, the way I feel, and the way I listened to music.

In 2009, I was introduced to a more recently born metal scene, known as the New Wave Of American Heavy Metal. This sub-genre is often grouped with Metalcore, and Nu Metal, due to their similarities. New Wave is the newest of the three, growing and becoming born in the early 2000's.

There's plenty of bands that were introduced to me from these areas, including Bullet For My Valentine, Black Veil Brides, Disturbed, Linkin Park, and System Of A Down. But only one band, has kept me feeling strong and alive, to the point where I wanted to cry from its intense beauty. This band, is Avenged Sevenfold.

(Queue ...And All Things Will End)

If you would allow me to do so, I would like to bring you all back to their roots, to discuss their history, so we can feel our way through their music, to see the audiences reaction, the bands reaction, and how it impacted Metal forever.

(Queue Warmness Of The Soul)

Step back to the beginning of Nu Metal, and the Punk era of 1999, where Avenged Sevenfold first formed together, and creating their first Demo the same year. The band consisted of the usual four people at the time, with M. Shadows, Zacky Vengeance, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan, and finally Matt Wendt, being the lineup making the initial sound of the first album. The name for the band was decided after all the band members brought a list of ideas they came up with the previous day. M. Shadows' choice of Avenged Sevenfold was chosen. Not to be outdone, though, the band was debating on the name "Lips Of Deceit" as well, which then later turned into a title for a track on their debut album.

(Queue Lips Of Deceit)

(Add interviews for question "What do you think of the name Avenged Sevenfold and where it came from?")

The first demo was taken to Hopeless Records, a record company in the heart of Huntington Beach, California, and unfortunately was given very poor reception. In conclusion, the band decided to work harder and create a second demo for the record companies. They sent the demo everywhere, but ultimately Hopeless Records decided the band had some potential and agreed to sign them.

By this time, the bassist Matt Wendt was replaced by Justin Sane, beginning the constant change in bass players in the early years.

The band went for a hardcore punk album, including screaming in almost every track, and some fast paced punk beats.

(Queue The Art Of Subconscious Illusion, at a screaming part)

Unfortunately, this wasn't a huge love by the community, as most of the songs were practically unimpressive, although still quite good for the targeted genre regardless. Metal fans, however, were very confused. The sound wasn't well put together, more of the opposite, being more sloppy and less practised. Being a regular for punk, metal wasn't ready for a band of major flaws.

Not to be outdone, though, this album still had potential. Metal was growing rapidly, and the band still made full attempt at coming up with unique metal sounds and ideas that would shape metal bands of the future. With songs such as Lips of Deceit, The Art Of Subconscious Illusion, and We Come Out At Night,

(Add interviews for question "What were your thoughts on the album 'Sounding The Seventh Trumpet'")

Later on in the same year, Justine Sane had attempted suicide, which lead him to be replaced by Dameon Ash, who lasted a few years throughout the tours of Seventh Trumpet. One of the first gigs came along at a location called Chain Reaction. It turned out to be a very hated performance, and the band was booed off the stage. However, upon their return for a second try later in their career, the gig was extremely successful. Chain Reaction was a place known to make bands a big hit in California, and their second attempt had brought them into stardom.

Eventually, Avenged would be ready to write more songs and make a new album, in 2003, after the new bassist Johnny Christ would join and stay until the present day. Avenged Sevenfold was finally a complete band when Synyster Gates also joined the crew as lead guitarist, in 1999/2000, and the ultimate album would finally come to change the Metal scene forever. The band of five would go on to make a long streak of perfect albums. Welcome, to Waking The Fallen.

(Queue Unholy Confessions)

An album filled with classics, Waking The Fallen truly brought the band to where they are today, with plenty of songs to keeps fans head banging, even after a decade of songwriting later. An album with half of the lyrics still screaming, the other half sung, it was definitely a good hybrid and shaped the beginning of the new genre New Wave Of American Heavy Metal, bringing on inspired bands such as Hollywood Undead, and Sleeping With Sirens. This album is also well credited for being full of variety and unique sound. A comparison between Unholy Confessions and Eternal Rest would be one tough challenge, indeed, only to note that it is that particularly notable guitar sound, and very memorable voice of M. Shadows.

(Queue Eternal Rest)

However, even after all of this perfection, Avenged's manager Larry Jacobson, would still deny that Waking The Fallen was the album to make him want to sign the band to Warner Brothers. Instead, he claimed it was Seventh Trumpet. Due to big change in band lineup since then, the band decided to remaster their debut album with every song including bass and lead guitar done by Johnny and Synyster, respectively.

(Add interviews for question "Do you think the band would still be this successful without the 2 guitarist setup?")

Unlike Seventh Trumpet, Waking The Fallen had a song that was a tribute to someone close to them. The song I Won't See You Tonight Part 1, would be a tribute to Matt Wendt, due to his suicide attempts in the bands past before being replaced. A few more songs had interesting meanings to them, such as Chapter Four, which was about a man avenging the death of a brother, which might relate to just a close friend.

(Queue Chapter Four)

No matter what way you look at this album, it has created an entire genre, and began the stream of success Avenged Sevenfold was hoping to have, and luckily, in such a short period of time, being only 4 years after the band was created.

(Add interviews for question "What did you think of the album Waking The Fallen?")

Fame flew by, as the band grew many dedicated fans, and Warner Brothers welcomed the band into their music business. More recognition, more demand. However, something was missing. M. Shadows had decided to not include screaming lyrics on the next album. Many rumours were spread out towards the community, such as vocal surgery, and the band "going soft" (quote on quote). But, Shadows had decided to stop and make a more melodic album. This melodic change, could also relate to the big inclusion of a small orchestra in the third and definitely notable album, City Of Evil.

(Queue Beast And The Harlot)

Waking The Fallen was big, but City Of Evil was bigger, bringing even more fans than the band could ever imagine, and for good reason, too. Two perfect albums side by side, with every song unique next to one another. The band became a force that no other band has ever had, with such fan dedication, and such support from the entire world in such a short period of time, especially thanks to Warner Brothers.

The album itself, was definitely not one to disappoint. A fast paced, positive sounding group of songs, with both guitarists in unison at every turn, drum fills and double bass drum hits at the most precise moments, a powerful and beautiful voice filled with power and some form of brutality. Of course, who could forget the bass as well, which was finally brought into a better spotlight, and sounding more impressive than ever, with a more complicated riff compared to most bassists with more linear playing.

Nearly every song on the album was given very positive thoughts from fans and critics, alike. For the first time, everyone was finally perfectly satisfied, and filled with the wicked sounds of Blinded In Chains, and the almighty well-known Bat Country, which also helped the album go platinum in late 2009. Even on its own as a single, it went on to be one of the most purchased singles in the world, considering the time it's been released for. Other songs have honourable mentions too, however. Songs like Thrashed & Scattered, M.I.A, and Strength Of The World.

(Queue M.I.A)

The band had finally felt accomplished, making their way to a global community, and growing stronger every day. The intermission of fame between City Of Evil and the following album was quite dull, only filled with tours and the creation of a documentary movie, called All Excess. However, it seems as if it was too early to make a movie about the band, as many more events would happen to the band years after the release.

(Add interviews for question "Do you think the movie All Excess was made too early into their career?")

Avenged was ready for a new album, even with the world completely satisfied with the last album, the band continued to create more and more new ideas rapidly and no fan would say no to more. The Rev made many works on the album, and even some that didn't make it. Some of those songs would be available later, but we'll stay on topic for now.

(As the text is read, the song "Critical Acclaim" is queued from the start of the track)
Their veins were pumping, their audience was settling and there was no turning back, so the band took all their most out-of-this-world ideas and created their most discussed and most beloved album, the Self-Titled Album.

This album was filled with everything a metal band needed to make a unique sound and a huge audience appeal, guitar solos, wicked drum fills, wide ranges of vocals, duets, even brass and strings from time to time. This was it, the album that would guarantee absolute success for years to come.

(Add interviews for question "What would you say was your favourite part about the self-titled album?)

An album filled with life, Self-Titled hit the hearts of millions and went on to confidently increase the bands fan base once more, and for good reason. Starting with Critical Acclaim, a heavy piece with a strong message, followed by the almighty Almost Easy. This song would go on to new heights as it's rare crunch sound, with the mix of equality in the instruments, this fast paced song was a hard one to miss, even on public radio.

However, what really took the albums heart is what this metal-head likes to call: the White album trio. These three songs are known as Afterlife, (Queue Afterlife here) A Little Piece Of Heaven, and Dear God. Although they aren't the heaviest songs on the album, they were the most notable, most significant, and most epic pieces of work they may have ever done. Using strings such as violin, brass such as trumpets, and even nine guitars for Dear God, anyone could tell how much effort was put into these works, with the sweat and tears coming with them.

A Little Piece Of Heaven was probably the most controversial song they've ever done, as it discusses the very creepy and often disturbing discussion of Necrophilia, or the act of sexual intercourse with a dead human being. Although it seems like something to be avoided, it's also quite ironic, considering the song is very happy sounding and almost rather beautiful, it's only the lyrics deceiving the entire song.
(Queue A Little Piece Of Heaven and play some of it without dialogue, then return to Afterlife)

(Show interviews for questions "What is your opinion of A Little Piece Of Heaven, and what do you think about the lyrics?")

One other notable piece of this albums history was the amount of backup vocals by The Rev, as well as M. Shadow's Wife, originally known also as the screamer on the song "The Art Of Subconscious Illusion" from Sounding The Seventh Trumpet (before their marriage). Nearly every song, except Brompton Cocktail and Gunslinger, had these backup vocals.

If that information wasn't enough to surprise you, perhaps it would be a surprise that the band had enough rejection songs to make a "hidden album"? Well, in 2008, after the decision of releasing a live DVD was prompted, it was decided that the band wanted to show off the rejects, in an album called "Diamonds In The Rough".
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Avenged Sevenfold Documentary Draft

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:37 pm

Bump, since I've edited it a bit
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Return to Music