Headbanger's Guide #12 - Hail To The King, baby.

Headbanger's Guide #12 - Hail To The King, baby.

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:10 pm

No no, I'm not going a review of the Duke Nukem 3D soundtrack.

Today, were going to have a look at the newest addition to Avenged Sevenfold, Hail To The King

Released August 27th, 2013, this album was a big change in the bands history. A few bits of trivia is revolved around this album, including the album being the first without any songs written by the former drummer, The Rev, and this album being their shortest track listing in a primary album. (Since Diamonds In The Rough is an exception of being a hidden album)

Old fans were clearly convinced this album was the end, as new fans started to roam around this album, after hearing Nightmare. Personally, I just feel like this a Rush issue.

Back in the late 80's and early 90's, Rush went through a very synthetic phase, which was losing all of their fan base. They would eventually kick back in hear with the release of Show and Tell.

Avenged Sevenfold seems to be reinforcing this kind of connection, by releasing very high risk albums, and experimenting. It's easy to admit this is probably Avenged Sevenfold's weakest album, but I feel like there still is hope. I mean, there are still some good tracks on it.

Lets go through some of those tracks that I feel need the most attention, because I feel like if I went through the whole album, I'd just be crying and complaining about how awful Planets is. So, lets get to it.

Track 1 - Shepherd of Fire
Fuck yeah! This is what I'm talkin about! The sound is similar to Critical Acclaim, however it's dark like Unholy Confessions. Perfect song. Actually, it's now in my top 10 favourite songs. So, there you go! Lots of awesome guitar, the drums are heavy, and the lyrics fit perfect for the song, with such an interesting message. Check this one out!

Track 2 - Hail To The King
I will admit, this song is pretty stale compared to their other songs. It's very predictable, and linear. However, it's one of their most powerful songs, which is something I've missed since Carry On and Not Ready To Die. Not much else to say, the guitar is very positive, drums are kind of boring, but the singing definitely takes this to a whole new level of perfection.

Track 5 - Requiem
(Latin chanting)
Prodigia comploratus, Silens, oro, Regnet exitium.
What a cool intro. Absolutely awesome, then the song just EXPLODES at you with power! Slow, but meaningful. Very strong singing, very strong lead guitar, and wicked drum fills! Probably another song that sticks in my top 10, actually. The song is quite independent, being so different from a lot of their other songs. Check this one, too.

Track 7 - Heretic
This song is very much similar to Nightmare, so soft but also so forceful, it gives that feeling of relaxation and confidence. It feels very much like a song to inspire an artist. So, if you like to draw or paint, listen to this I guess! :P

Track 8 - Coming Home
I know what you're thinking... Yes I own a cat.
But how many songs have the name Coming Home, man? Seriously, five bands are already off the top of my head, like its so unoriginal. Well, the good news is, the song is the best song on the fucking album!! I can relate it a lot to System Of A Down or My Chemical Romance, with that unique guitar sound, and sorta pop punk exterior, with some heavy grungy guitar. Drums are really good in this song too. Not as slow and linear this time around. As always, the singing is near perfect. Shadows should be proud of this song being under his belt. Fucking. Seriously.

Track 10 - Acid Rain
This song kind of makes me want to cry. It's such a dark ending to such a positive album. It feels like a movie with a death ending. Beautifully well done though, such soft guitar, with a emphasized voice, and some fine drums mixed in, and even a little bass that works calmly and peacefully. This song is not recommended for the shitty days at the office. Like I said, it's the last track off the album. (Unless you got the deluxe edition like me, where you also get a bonus track... Which turned out to be kind of shitty, too)

Well, I hope you guys enjoyed this in depth look at Hail To The King. Keep rockin, everyone!
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Headbanger's Guide #12 - Hail To The King, baby.

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:38 pm

A7XDrumCovers wrote:No no, I'm not going a review of the Army of Darkness soundtrack.

Fix'd
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Headbanger's Guide #12 - Hail To The King, baby.

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Mon Sep 02, 2013 1:49 am

Musashi1596 wrote:
A7XDrumCovers wrote:No no, I'm not going a review of the Army of Darkness soundtrack.

Fix'd

...... True. :mrgreen:
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Return to Music