Headbanger's Guide Ep11 - Obscure Gems

Headbanger's Guide Ep11 - Obscure Gems

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:16 am

Remember that band that made a really noticeable song on the radio, and you've never heard anything related from that same band since? Or maybe there's one band that made that one song that stood out above the rest?

Well, lets go over some I remember pretty fondly. This idea first sparked from me looking for more Rush songs, I was hoping to do a Rush episode again, but then I realized there were some songs that were... Weird for Rush to do. So I flipped the shit switch and said, lets do another random episode!

Lets begin with the main 2 songs I wanted to do, both by Rush. These are actually some of my favourite songs by them now. These songs are Driven, and Vital Signs.

First is Vital Signs. A great song, but really different for Rush. Quiet... And almost reggae in a way how its presented. Good thing this was still very much filled with guitar and... Electric drums? C'mon, you can't expect me to believe that snare hit is from a real acoustic set. (Listen to 0:40) Even though that is the case, it's still an excellent song, probably one of my favourites from my favourite album of theirs!

Next is Driven. Such a funky beat, and I love it! The music video... Is strange... But whatever, that's not the point. The bass is easy to hear, powerful, the drums aren't totally pronounced, which is probably one of the only times that is the case, and you know what? It sounds awesome! I really like how this song is played, and the singing is very unique how it doesn't really hit many high notes, it makes it more intense. Great track that is very much overlooked due to it being in that "artificial" Rush era.

Here's a few interesting songs, that are quite.. Interesting. Not much else to say, although one of them I do have to comment about for sure, being from my favourite band.

Introducing 96 Quite Bitter Beings, a song by the band CKY (short for Camp Kill Yourself). Very interesting title, and the beat is phenomenal. Definitely hard to forget, and one to headbang to all night and day! But... One feature that this group of songs I want to focus on is lyrics. Lyrics, seem like just words to some, especially when you don't fluently speak the English language. But, some just can't be overlooked. This is one of them.
Read lyrics here:
Spoiler: show
Lyrics:
With my perceptions in a mix
Down twenty miles through the sticks
To the cloudy town of Hellview: population 96

Excessive vacancy, well maybe
In the shadow of an eye
All the strangers pass right through
Where the rules just don't apply

At the fork turn left a store
But on the right stay free from sight
'Cause 96 quite bitter beings
Like to stack the bodies high

The only way to ever leave is
Overflooded by the storm
And entanglement in Hellview
Brings you fear in fifty forms

They've deleted all the tourists
At the bottom of the lake
And not one supports the cause
To leave the blood stay in the veins

Here, three miles back is where we are
All we ever wanted was an answer
Civilized are close but way too far

Footprints giving clue to where we are
Civilized are close but way too far
All we ever wanted...

Pretty weird. However, this here is the cornerstone of CKY. The guitar and drums are fantastic, the singer is very dramatic with his grumbly voice. It's a great listen that is worth a lot, when you've taken a few listens to it.

So now, lets talk about my favourite, A Little Piece Of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold. It's dramatic, orchestrated, and still as metal as ever with that same notable guitar, drums, and those unforgettable voices of The Rev, may he rest in peace, and M. Shadows. Behind all of that, is this:
Must have stabbed her fifty fucking times,
I can't believe it,
Ripped her heart out right before her eyes,
Eyes over easy, eat it eat it eat it

She was never this good in bed
even when she was sleepin'
now she's just so perfect I've
never been quite so fucking deep in
it goes on and on and on,
I can keep you lookin' young and preserved forever,
with a fountain to spray on your youth whenever.

Holy shit, what the fuck is this? Avenged has never done something as strange as this before, but this was definitely something interesting. The song is about Necrophilia! Great, lets fuck some dead people! :P Anyway, this part of the lyrics is after the lady rejects him after he proposes to her... aaaaaaaand you know the rest.... It's still a great song, and this wasn't the last time they made a strange song (I'm lookin at you Girl I Know, a prostitute song), but this one was unique in the way that its full of strings and brass, and they also have a girl singing on this song with M Shadows (if I'm not mistaken, it's actually his wife, who did screaming in the song The Art Of Subconscious Illusion from Sounding The Seventh Trumpet).

One more song for tonight is one that takes a while to explain, Amy by Green Day.

Lets show the lyrics right off the bat:
Green Day - ¡Dos! - Amy

Lyrics:

Is your heart singing out of tune?
Are your eyes just singing the blues?
Dirty records from another time
Some blood stains on your shoes

No one really knows about your soul
And I barely really know your name
Burning rhythms and posting lies
And a bunch of fools drown in shame

Amy don't you go
I want you around
Singin' woah please don't go
Do you wanna be a friend of mine?

Did you tattoo a lucky charm
To keep you out of harms way?
Warding off all evil signs
But never really kept you safe

Now you're too young for the golden age
'Cause the record bin's been replaced
27 gone without a trace
And you walked away from your drink

Amy don't you go
I want you around
Do you wanna be a friend of...

Amy please don't go!
Amy please don't go!

Is your heart singing out of tune
Are your eyes just singing the blues?
Dirty records from another time
Some blood stains on your shoes

May I have this last dance
By chance if we should meet?
Can you write me a lullaby?
So we can sing you to sleep

Amy don't you go
I want you around

Definitely something that couldn't really explain itself, is Amy. This song has only guitar and singing, extremely well done, in fact, I might even say that I enjoy this more than More Than Words by Extreme. Fact is though, when I heard this song on the ahem- SUB-PAR album DOS!, I was like "That's it? That's the fucking song?" Until I listened to it again, and again, and again. It's really good! At first though, it comes out as a love song. Until you hear the lyrics "Do you wanna be a friend of mine?". What? I don't get it... Is she an ex girlfriend now? What?? Then you read the lyrics, "Blood stains on your shoes." Well, jeez, something is definitely wrong here!

Guess what? Turns out, the song was dedicated to Amy Winehouse. You don't even got close to thinking that when you think fucking Green Day, am I right? But, now when you read everything, it makes sense, and honestly, it's a song that makes me really think differently. I think that this was a very amazing tribute to Amy, and I'm proud they wrote it, even though they put it on an awful album.

Well, that's the best I can bring to you for obscure gems. Until next time, farewell!
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Headbanger's Guide Ep11 - Obscure Gems

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 9:55 pm

I've always loved Vital Signs, in part because Moving Pictures was the first album of theirs that I heard. I think a lot of people consider that album to be their magnum opus (though it's not my personal favourite) so I imagine it's a somewhat popular song. Driven I haven't heard because I don't have Test For Echo Yet... Still building up my collection. I think I'll get it next though; to be honest, the album art for that has always stood out. And it's a great track of course.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:13 am

Musashi1596 wrote:I've always loved Vital Signs, in part because Moving Pictures was the first album of theirs that I heard. I think a lot of people consider that album to be their magnum opus (though it's not my personal favourite) so I imagine it's a somewhat popular song. Driven I haven't heard because I don't have Test For Echo Yet... Still building up my collection. I think I'll get it next though; to be honest, the album art for that has always stood out. And it's a great track of course.

Moving Pictures is always my favourite, next to Permanent Waves :)

Test For Echo... Is kinda weird cause its the just coming back around to their senses stage... But that's just me talking. :D
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Postby EpicPineapple » Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:36 am

Another good guide, I've heard the 96 Quite Bitter Beings song on tv before, interesting song.
Also I wouldn't call the Avenged Sevenfold song "obscure", but it is a good song by them, pretty weird though.
EpicPineapple
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:43 am

EpicPineapple wrote:I wouldn't call the Avenged Sevenfold song "obscure", but it is a good song by them, pretty weird though.

I guess you're right, but it still surprises me not too many people have heard the song.
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Return to Music