Headbangers Guide #1: Avenged Sevenfold

Headbangers Guide #1: Avenged Sevenfold

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:18 pm

Hey everyone, as most of you know, I like my music. Its my life, really. So today,I decided I would start a new series of posts for the Music section, covering a new band each time. Some may be well known, others not.

Since my name is A7X, we will be covering them first. A7X is short for "Avenged Sevenfold"

The band is a Metalcore/New Wave of American Metal band, originating from Huntington Beach, California, making their first demo in 1999, with a follow-up demo in 2000, and finally making their first debut album in 2001. The band has had many changes in the lineup since their beginnings, especially with their bass and drums, and have also dealt with a death in the band.

The original lineup were M. Shadows on vocals, Zacky Vengeance on rythym guitar, Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan on drums, and Matt Wendt on bass. Matt Wendt was to leave the band after the 2000 demo, to be replaced by Justin Sane, who was also replaced the following year by Dameon Ash. Finally, in 2003, Johnny Christ was the replacement of Dameon, and is still in the band today. In 2001, upon the debut albums release, Synyster Gates joins the band as lead guitarist. Together, these five musicians became what we know as Avenged Sevenfold. But, this was not to last. In 2009, just after christmas, the bands beloved drummer had died from combined effects of Oxycodone, Oxymorphone, Diazepam/Nordiazepam and ethanol drug overdose. His loss was just before the release of the bands fifth album, which was left unchanged and was left sounding more like a "remastering of a demo". By this time, the band had drummer of Dream Theatre play the album, Mike Portnoy. Finally in 2011, Arin Illejay would be the newest member, playing the recording of the Black Ops DLC Zombies song "Not Ready To Die", as well as the single "4 A.M" and the Black Ops 2 Zombies theme "Carry On".

The band has 5 studio albums, as well as a compilation/live album, a documentary, and 18 singles, selling over 8 million album copies worldwide. Today, we will be covering their 5 only albums available.

Sounding The Seventh Trumpet was their first album, released in 2001. Poorly judged by critics and audiences, the album is the only album with almost all screaming vocals included, as well as somewhat sloppy instrumentation, even after a remaster in 2003. However, the album has its perks. I recommend these songs should be checked out:

Track 1 - To End The Rapture
A short intro to the album, very enjoyable and well done. There are 2 versions of it released, but the remastered version is the one I prefer, as it includes the entire band. Awesome backup vocals in it too, and one of the only songs without screaming vocals in the album.

Track 4 - The Art Of Subconcious Illusion
A good addition to the album, and probably the major hit of the entire thing. It surely has a unique style and includes multiple vocalists, including a female screamer. (I bet this caught a lot of male attention, if you know what I mean ;-) ) The song is pretty complicated however, and takes some time before it can truly be judged.

Track 5 - We Come Out At Night
A more darker song, this track includes lots of interesting twists and turns. Its hard to comment on, but one of my favourites. Leaves me air-drumming every time.

Track 7 - Warmness On The Soul
The only ballad of the album, this song includes a piano riff that goes well with the vocals and brings some harmony into the bands instrumentation. One of their best ballads in my opinion.

Waking The Fallen is the following album, released in 2003. The second and last full album with screaming vocals, this album is very underrated and includes the biggest classic of their career. The songs I suggest are:

Track 1/2 - Waking The Fallen/Unholy Confessions
The intro of the album, as well as the bands greatest classic, this song set is an excellent way to start your search for this band. Left me speechless, excellent in every way, and the guitar sounds much more clean and darker, making what they would soon become to be in their future albums.

Track 3 - Chapter Four
Starting with a drum solo, and ending with a fade-away, another great song with similar instrumentation as Unholy Confessions. Lyrics that work, and background screaming vocals to boot. Probably my favourite song of the album.

Track 9 - I Won't See You Tonight, Part 1
Although there are two parts of this song in the album, the first is much more interesting to me. The perk about this ballad compared to the other ballads from other albums is the length, as well as the sad but meaningful lyrics. The perfect slow song after a bad day at work.

City Of Evil is their next album, released in 2005. Marking their first major record labels album, as well as their first platinum record. This also marks their first album without any screaming vocals, and this tradition would continue for ever album following, with the exception of the song "God Hates Us" from the Nightmare album, and the single "Not Ready To Die". Many great songs on this album, but here are some to get you started:

Track 2 - Burn It Down
A much faster paced song than what most fans were used to, the song was pretty unique at the time and was definitely a different sound from any other band of the same genre. Great drumming and guitar in this song, one of their finest.

Track 4 - Bat Country
Probably their biggest hit ever, Bat Country is what made the band huge. The song would be used in multiple video games, movies, videos, and would see its own music video at one point to reach its incredible fame. The song is very different from their other works, so its another gem that is worth checking out.

Track 11 - M.I.A
Ah yes, M.I.A. An incredible piece of work, put together carefully and made into a masterpiece full of multiple great chords and nearly perfect instrumentation. Outstanding lyrics too, which would later be inspiration for many other songs similar to its style.

The Self Titled album would be next, released in 2007. This also marks the last album before The Rev's death. Every song is great on this album, I don't honestly think I can recommend anything for any reason, so here are some of my personal favourites:

Track 1 - Critical Acclaim
Track 2 - Almost Easy
Track 4 - Afterlife
Track 9 - A Little Piece Of Heaven (Be warned about this one, the lyrics are a little strange...)
Track 10 - Dear God

Hope you enjoy those! :-D

Nightmare is currently their newest album, released in 2010. This album is mostly similar to a demo, since the band wanted the songs to be unchanged. This was due to the fact that The Rev, who had died during the making of this album, had written almost every song on it. So the band left the album alone, and just remastered the work, only changing some songs such as "Nightmare", and making a new song, known as "So Far Away" which was the first song that Synyster Gates wrote by himself. These are songs I think are worth checking out:

Track 1 - Nightmare
Pardon my french, but this song is absolutely kick-ass. The song was very much cherished by critics and audiences worldwide, and would later be used in Black Ops for the last DLC Zombie Map "Moon" as an easter egg. How's that for ya?

Track 5 - Natural Born Killer
A very interesting song, lots of unique guitar riffs and the drums are very intense. Vocals that are indescribable, in a good way. Great song.

Track 11 - Save Me
Personally, this is my all time favourite track. EVER. The length is once again an addition, but the style is what changes the influence for me. It feels like a halloween story is being told, and theres intense heavy music being played in the background. The first time I heard it, it made me feel emotional, one of the first songs to ever make me feel so. I definitely recommend this!

Thanks for reading, this is A7XDrumCovers, signing out. Until next time!
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Headbangers Guide #1: Avenged Sevenfold

Postby HAYTRED » Tue May 07, 2013 3:00 pm

Live in LBC, great CD and DVD to own.
HAYTRED
General 3
General 3

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Tue May 07, 2013 4:58 pm

HAYTRED wrote:Live in LBC, great CD and DVD to own.

And the sad thing is, I don't own the DVD! D:
Although I do have the CD.
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Postby HAYTRED » Tue May 07, 2013 5:38 pm

A7XDrumCovers wrote:
HAYTRED wrote:Live in LBC, great CD and DVD to own.

And the sad thing is, I don't own the DVD! D:
Although I do have the CD.

I obviously own it. Hence why I know it's greatness. LOL
HAYTRED
General 3
General 3

Return to Music