Activision & Bungie partnership ends early

Activision & Bungie partnership ends early

Postby jloco11 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:54 pm

https://www.ign.com/articles/2019/01/10 ... iny-rights
https://www.bungie.net/en/Explore/Detail/News/47569

Bungie will maintain Destiny as their IP, and will no longer have Activision publishing the game.

Interesting turn of events, considering Destiny was scheduled to be a 10 year/4 game contract. In Activision's final earnings call in 2018, they said Forsaken wasn't performing as well as they were hoping and specifically said people aren't returning to the franchise.

Whether this was a decision by Activision to cut Bungie loose (along with the franchise) or Bungie knowing they won't fulfill the contract, it's actually quite rare to see Activision relinquish the rights to Destiny. Normally you would expect Activisin to keep a franchise and release the studio, but parted ways with both.

Speculation will take over without knowing the full truth, but the most logical explanation is Destiny is losing money for Activision. It was easier to drop the franchise, than attempt to fire Bungie and have another studio take over the reigns support.................. for a franchise already in deep shit.

The other line of thought is the next DLC for September is not ready, and Bungie wants another delay.
jloco11

Re: Activision & Bungie partnership ends early

Postby Musashi1596 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:06 pm

It's an unusual way to do it but I can't say I'm terribly surprised. This whole 10 year plan bullshit was horribly overambitious, especially for such a divisive series. While I can't comment on the state of Destiny 2 I suspect a lot of people were in the same boat I was of not buying the title after Activision kinda screwing us with the first game.

This could possibly convince me to try Destiny 3 though, should it ever materialise, as I would be keen to see what Bungie can do without Bobby Kotick breathing down their neck.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:19 pm

People have to keep in mind, as evil as Activision is (and they are a greedy bunch of cunts), the overwhelming majority of mistakes were solely Bungie's bad decisions. Activision doesn't get involved in the day to day decisions or programming, they only look at the game and plot out how to market it and exploit gamers for every dollar possible.

- Bungie redesigned the story & game 18 months before their 2013 scheduled release date. Activision granted them a 1 year extension. Bungie requested a second, and Activision denied it.
- Bungie released an incomplete game, and were the ones who thought of selling the partial story lines as DLC. Activision agreed with the idea of course
- Bungie thought of Eververse after Activision told them the game needs a steady stream of money.
- Bungie dumbed down Destiny 2 at launch. Activision wanted the game to appeal to a broader audience to make more in sales, but they casualized it WAY too much and pissed off the dedicated fan base.
- Bungie created Curse of Osiris, which the game has yet to recover from fully.

Activision funded the game, and put unrealistic deadlines in place for content releases. But it was still Bungie who made horrible decisions along the way with game design. The most likely scenario for the game, is Destiny will release content in much slower time frames.... and have longer droughts without new content.
jloco11

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:29 pm

I think perhaps the timing of this, just before the release of Anthem must be a big reason why Activision are happy to wave goodbye. No doubt they forsee a large percentage of sales being lost to this new competitor. And then there's The Division 2 about to come out.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:03 am

https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/01/25 ... th-bungie/

Activision lost 10% of its share value after this split and the investors aren't happy.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby jloco11 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:26 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:https://www.thesixthaxis.com/2019/01/25/activision-face-class-action-lawsuits-following-the-split-with-bungie/

Activision lost 10% of its share value after this split and the investors aren't happy.

Greedy rich people, suing a company run by greedy rich people. First world problems, only in 'Murica
jloco11

Return to Gaming News