Nintendo Prepares New Console

Nintendo Prepares New Console

Postby a3grlmreaper » Sat Oct 17, 2015 8:33 pm

So with the crash and burn of the WiiU, Nintendo is preparing their next console after a mere 3 years. Once again, rather than creating a "traditional" console, and competing directly with Microsoft and Sony, it sounds like the NX will continue to target smaller section of the gaming market, focusing on soft-core gamers.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ninten ... 0-6431471/

I'm not even sure I can count this as a next-gen console :-D

With how hard the WiiU flopped, I can understand why they would run back to the drawing boards and try again. I can also understand why they continue to create these more "alternative" consoles. Nintendo is unopposed in their target audience. Their consoles are the only ones that could be considered different than the competitions. The only difference between an Xbox and a Playstation is minor features. The market doesn't need a 3rd cousin being thrown into the mix. Nintendo wouldn't be able to compete anyways. MS and Sony have well established their fanbase. Nintendo wouldn't steal any customers from them by making a regular console.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Re: Nintendo Prepares New Console

Postby Musashi1596 » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:10 pm

Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Tue Oct 27, 2015 3:54 pm

The story was updated... and was updated with what most people expected.

Nintendo isn't going to make any announcements about the console until 2016, and probably won't release it in 2016 either.

When they struck gold with the Wii, they realized they still appealed the casual market, which Sony & MS only offer a few casual items which are usually just tacked on. But they banked on casuals continuing to play on the Wii U when sales numbers were showing differently.

Unless the console is some version of a tablet/mobile device, they're going to slowly lose the casual market as well. I don't want to say Nintendo is in trouble (because they've survived PLENTY of years against competition), but their market is shortening each generation. Sony & MS took the hardcore gamers away... and mobile devices are taking the casuals away. Nintendo has their die hard fans, but not as many as the other consoles.
jloco11

Postby Arnold Sideways » Tue Oct 27, 2015 11:52 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if this is their last console really. I seem to remember reading about them trying to expand out a bit onto other markets, so they'll probably survive in some capacity, but I'm not optimistic of them continuing to male consoles, and unless it's the best thing since sliced bread I can only see the new one crashing super hard.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 12:05 am

Arnold Sideways wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if this is their last console really. I seem to remember reading about them trying to expand out a bit onto other markets, so they'll probably survive in some capacity, but I'm not optimistic of them continuing to male consoles, and unless it's the best thing since sliced bread I can only see the new one crashing super hard.

I suppose they can always go back to trading cards

Or release more amiibos
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Wed Oct 28, 2015 1:19 am

They'll do a version of Red and Blue where you control Mario and can jump on trainers to defeat them instead of battling with them.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby thebigb59 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 2:10 pm

As a Sega fan I would love Nintendo to crash and burn, but I hope their new console is good for them. What they need to do is convince EA and the others to come back, that is what really hurt the Wii U
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Return to Gaming News