The running joke that COD doesn't have a campaign....

The running joke that COD doesn't have a campaign....

Postby jloco11 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:09 pm

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/25/ ... ont%20page)&utm_content=6&utm_campaign=Blogroll&abthid=56056f170e28c6877100000c

Is starting to come true! Old gen consoles will not have a campaign in Black Ops 3, and only the updated consoles will. They will have access to MP only, but if you want to experience the 4 hour campaign of explosions, bullshit story, sci fi garbage that is single player... you need a new console.

To make up for the loss, the old gen versions are being discounted by $10, down to $50.

Let the hate begin

(on a side note, can someone send me some footage of a COD for a rant on this because this could be worth it! Either BO3 beta footage or BO2 campaign footage would be nice... no MP for BO2, campaign footage only so that I can crack some jokes)
jloco11

Re: The running joke that COD doesn't have a campaign....

Postby a3grlmreaper » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:17 am

Wait... they're actually reducing the cost? That's unexpected. I'm surprised Activision is willing to lose $10 on each copy. I wouldn't put it above them to charge full-price for less content... then release the PS3/360 campaign as paid-DLC :-D

In all seriousness though, $10 price reduction for leaving out content that 90%+ of their customers don't give shit about anyways... not the dumbest idea they've ever had.

(As for the video footage... I may or may not have something rendering :-D )
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby a3grlmreaper » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:27 am

And the heavens opened up, and smiled upon Jloco. They presented unto him, the perfect campaign footage. The most easily-joked about mission from BOII.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUgKvCHLo3U
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby thebigb59 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:19 pm

well I guess the Deus Ex Devs will be pleased that their story is only being ripped off on the current gen consoles
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby a3grlmreaper » Sun Sep 27, 2015 7:16 am

And you know that this is a test-run that is going to determine the future of the franchise.

Now that the current gen has been out for a few years, it makes last gen the perfect low-stakes testing grounds for controversial decisions. If enough people complain, you wont see this idea again. If no one really says anything about it, and the game sales like normal, then you will see it move to all systems. Next time around, they will probably try to leave out the campaign for full-price... see how well that goes over. (I would predict that they would catch a lot of heat.. but kids would still buy enough copies that they wouldn't care)

The campaign is easily the most expensive and time-consuming part of the game. They hire actual actors like James C. Burns and Michael Rooker for their characters, the entire thing is done by live-action motion capture, then factor in the hundreds of programmers, who average about $83k a year each, and the artists, music composers, and several other key positions... and you're looking at a pretty chunk of change.

So if they can cut out their heaviest expenses, while only cutting 16% of their profit, that's pretty much a no-brainer. Then if they can get people to still pay the full $60, that is Activision's wet-dream.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:17 pm

Although I played every campaign until I stopped buying CoD altogether, it amuses me that the campaign for CoD has effectively become nothing more than a joke. Certainly, when you consider that the campaign for CoD 4 was arguably the most influential FPS campaign of the last decade, and very good to boot. I think the downslide really started with MW2's, with it being full of now tired tropes and plot holes.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby gigitygigity » Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:27 am

It wouldn't bother me if they cut the campaign on the PS4 version. I only play it because I feel I should. Rest of the time is on the MP and I think I'm not alone in that.
gigitygigity

Postby Treehugger » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:43 pm

I actually semi enjoy the campaigns. They are not really amazing, but to me they are the only thing worth playing in a COD game.
Treehugger
Gunnery Sergeant 3
Gunnery Sergeant 3

Postby SmellyUndies » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:45 pm

I actually liked playing COD campaigns.
Except when Troy Baker was literally the main protagonist.
Didn't even remodel him at all.
Just Troy Baker in camo.
SmellyUndies
Major
Major

Return to Gaming News