Star Wars Battlefront II

Re: Star Wars Battlefront II

Postby Musashi1596 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:54 pm

Should have known it would take Star Wars being affected before people actually started giving a shit about the loot box pandemic.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby thebigb59 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:57 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:Should have known it would take Star Wars being affected before people actually started giving a shit about the loot box pandemic.

I never really played any games that had them, not that was pay to win. Mostly the games I played the boxes was cosmetic items. Also Ea have been fucking up the Star Wars License for a good while now, they have only made 2 games since they got it and a few mobile cash-ins
thebigb59
Major 2
Major 2

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:33 pm

I think the only game I've played with this mechanic in was Mass Effect 3. But most people playing that game were in it for the campaign so I think it went largely unnoticed. Plus, is it really pay to win, when a game is entirely co-op? But since then, I think I've avoided games that have them. Might be one or two that have slipped by without me noticing, such as Uncharted 4? Did the multiplayer in that have loot boxes? But again, I only really bought that for the campaign and quickly traded it on finishing the game.

edit:

Just gave the above review a watch, very funny, he tears the game and EA a new one.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby a3grlmreaper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:10 am

So Battlefront II is rolling out the first Free DLC pack. It adds more hero characters/ships, new maps, and 3 new chapters to the campaign.

To EA's credit, it's free add-ons, so there is a ceiling cap on how much one could reasonably gripe about this, however it doesn't change the multiplayer had minimum content on release, and playing it got extremely repetitive after a week. So it's not so much that they're adding extra content as much that they are slowly releasing the other half of the content that should've been included from the start. (A totally surprising and unforeseen move for EA.. I know)

All and all, unfortunately, it's certainly not the most outrageous part of this game's release... and I guess it's better to have a complete multiplayer experience late than to just leave it incomplete.

The campaign is a different story. They had a full campaign on launch. 12 missions, an average of 5 hours of content, which is a little below industry standard. For comparison, Battlefield 1 has an average time of 6 1/2 hrs, Black Ops and Black Ops II each have a 7 hour average, COD4 averaged 8 hours. However I didn't feel like it was rushed. To me it felt like the length of any other campaign, they completed a full story arc, and I just didn't notice any time loss. So I consider the campaign add-on a positive.
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby dazzafett » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:32 pm

Other than a couple of Hero verses games on release date to give jLoco some footage to rant about I have not played yet. I log in each day to grab the free loot crate but am enjoying COD WWII at the mo.

To be honest I pretty much only bought the game for he Story Campaign as that was what was disappointingly lacking in BF so any new campaign missions they give us is OK by me.
I will prob give the Campaign a go at some point over Xmas
dazzafett
Trophy Keeper
Trophy Keeper

Postby a3grlmreaper » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:57 am

Were you wondering if there was anyone for the loot crate progression system to be anymore fucked than the horse that's already been beat to death in every corner of the internet?

Well wonder no more, because the answer won't surprise you. It's an outstanding YES!

Play the game for an hour to grind the 4,000 credits needed to buy a Trooper Lootcrate? Excited to finally take one step forward in this shitty progression system and get some new equipment for some of your classes? Well Fuck You!

Spoiler: show

Because even though there are 26 cards I haven't unlocked in just the 4 main classes alone, not taking in to account the Enforcer and Aerial units, the 3 land vehicle types, the 3 ship classes, or all the hero and hero ships, I gained 1 new card and 3 duplicates for the most expensive lootcrate you can buy.

BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE! We will double the offer for free!

That's right! This isn't a rare spot of bad luck, this is an extremely common occurrence! You can have at least 1 duplicate card in 92% of the lootcrates you open, with 2 duplicates in 70%!

Because EA! Where will do all additional add-ons for free, but we're going to tie the entire online progression to a broken lottery system specifically designed to fuck you over, so you will have no choice but to buy the micro-transactions just to progress, which in turn will also fuck you over so you have to keep buying more!

Spoiler: show
a3grlmreaper
Captain
Captain

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:30 pm

This sounds like an experiment in torture.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Previous

Return to Gaming News