JLoco11's Vanguard loadouts

JLoco11's Vanguard loadouts

Postby jloco11 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:08 pm

The following guide is how I personally rank up my classes in Mass Effect 3. There is no "perfect" way to setup your classes, and in numerous examples I will be showing some alterations I make with each promotion.

This is also not a guide on how to use the characters, just merely a suggestion on a loadout you may want to try.

Please note, in each guide unless otherwise stated, I put EVERY power to minimum of Evolution 3. These guides will only discuss the BRANCHING POWERS starting in Evolution 4 for the powers I elect to customize.

If a power/ability is not mentioned, that means I upgrade it to Evo 3 only.
jloco11

Re: JLoco11's Vanguard loadouts

Human Vanguard - With each human class, I like to spec them out differently because it makes no sense to have 2 identical characters that play the same way. Both loadouts I use are shown.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#50QDRPJV9@0
Weapons: Disciple

Charge 4: Hit 2 targets within 2 meters of impact
Charge 5: Increase power damage 10% after successful charge
Charge 6: 25% chance of not triggering a cooldown

Nova 4: Increase radius 40%
Nova 5: Gain option to use Nova 2 times in a row using 50% shield but reducing damage 40%
Nova 6: 25% chance of not using barrier

Alliance 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weapon capacity 20%
Alliance 5: Increase power damage 15%
Alliance 6: Increase weapon damage 10%

OPTIONAL

Fitness 4: Increase health and shield 15%
Fitness 5: Decreate shield recharge speed by 15%

Shockwave 4: Increase force and damage 30%
Shockwave 5: Increase force and damage of biotic explosions 65%

Summary - How to be a Vandouche! This it the biggest power spamming class in the game and is meant to go after every kill possible by spamming Charge and Nova. Both are set to combat groups at the expense of less damage. Both are setup to repeatedly use powers over and over again with little use for the actual weapon.

The optional powers listed are the last powers I will put points uinto, compared to Charge, Nova & Alliance. Since I will only get those powers when I hit level 20 and ready to promote, I never use them. Personally I would choose Shockwave since I can recharge my shield with a Biotic charge, but that choice is all about options if you don't plan on promoting.

I prefer to use the Disciple on this class due to it's low weight and decent damage. Add a shredder mod to be able to shoot through riot shields.

Overall, if things go well, you will RARELY use your gun at all and it will mostly be used to take on enemies that you can't bioitc charge.
jloco11

Human 2: http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#50LDKQJZ9@0
Weapons: Katana

Charge 4: Increase force and damage 30%
Charge 5: Increase weapon damage 15% for 3 seconds
Charge 6: Restore barrier 50%

Nova 4: Increase force and damage 30%
Nova 5: Increase power recharge by 25%
Nova 6: Increase damage to armor and barrier by 100%

Alliance 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weapon capacity 20%
Alliance 5: Increase headshot damage 20%
Alliance 6: Reduce weight of all weapons 20%

Fitness 5: Decrease shield recharge by 15%

Summary - Unlike the previous class that is strictly Charge/Nova spam, this setup does take more effort and smarts to use. You're not going to be able to spam powers and will rely heavily on gun damage.

Charge & Nova are not setup for crowd control, so you should focus on 1 enemy at a time. Rolling away from confrontations will be a major key to surviving. Charging at something, firing a quick Katana shot and rolling before hitting Nova will be a combo repeated quite often.

The Katana is used for gun power. If the lighter shotguns, this one does decent damage with a good fire rate to do quite a bit of damage.
jloco11

Drell Vanguard - I rarely use this class, but this is how I normally rank it up when I am distributing points. This is probably the most counter intuitive race in the entire game

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#51PDNJRS9@0
Weapons: Talon

Charge 4: Hit 2 targets within 2 meters
Charge 5: Increase weapon damage 15% after a charge
Charge 6: Increase barriers 100% after charge

Cluster Nades 4: Increase force and damage 30%
Cluster Nades 5: Increase max grenades by 1
Cluster Nades 6: Increase force and damage 50%

Assassin 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weapon capacity 20%
Assassin 5: Increase headshot damage 20%

Fitness 5: Decrease shield recharge 15%
Fitness 6: Increase health and shield 25%

Summary - This character makes absolutely no sense and will probably take the most death of anything in the game besides a Turian. Vanguards are meant to be up close fighters, yet the Drell has the lowest Barrier of any of the Vanguards. It also has no follow up power should you attempt to charge a powerful enemy.

Much like the Adept, putting points into Fitness are a must, and probably your top priority. Trying to survive with low health and barrier can only work for so long.

Charge is pointless to attempt on anything that can't be killed immediately. Low level enemies are the target, but anything that comes out in the middle waves should be left alone. You can spam a grenade throw, but you need to be 100% for it to work.

Best biotic combo would be Pull/Charge, however you can still only kill minor enemies without shields. Pull is useless against anything with protection and the only use it has is ripping shields of a Guardian.

I equip the Talon because I have no use for it anywhere else. I could equip anything on this character and it would feel out of place. This is the oddest character setup in the game, due to it's health, power layout and abilities. Best advice is to use another vanguard.
jloco11

Asari Vanguard - This has become my off host Vanguard class and I rank it up the same way every single time. Against the right enemies, this class will get a shitload of points

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#52RKLJDj9@0
Weapons: Mantis & any light SMG or pistol

Charge 4: Hit up to 2 targets within 2 meters
Charge 5: Increase power damage 15% after charge
Charge 6: Increase barrier 100%

Stasis 4: Increase duration 40%
Stasis 5: 30% chance there will be no cooldown
Stasis 6: Add a bubble to trap multiple enemies

Lift Nade 4: Increase force and damage 30%
Lift Nade 5: Increase max capacity by 1
Lift Nade 6: Increase force and damage 50%

Justicar 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weapon capacity 20%
Justicar 5: Increase headshot damage 20%

Summary - This is almost cheating. Much like the Drell, charging into enemies with the Asari is not the smartest idea in the world, so the best option is to take advantage of her Stasis power. You're going to trap enemies and headshot them for easy kills to rake in the points.

Stasis bubble is a necessity and should be the first priority. After that Justicar to get the headshot bonus should be your next target.

Lift grenades are helpful for groups of enemies if Stasis didn't work, so that should help you quite a bit. And finally, I leave charge up until the last power since I really have no use for it. You can Stasis something or lift something to charge and biotic detonate, but it's almost unnecessary with this setup.

I use the Mantis because it's light enough to recharge powers quick, but strong enough to do major headshot damage. You may want to add some amps for extra damage to make sure the headshots are killing shit.

Also note that stasis works on anything without armor. You can stasis Shield and Barriers, but Armor is not affected. Any time you see something Armored, leave it and go kill everything else. You can always come back to it later or let a teammate kill it.
jloco11

Krogan Vanguard - There are a number of ways to play as the Krogan Vanguard, but this has become my main way of playing. There are still a number of different ways to use him, but this is my most common use

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#53RDHJKW9@0
Weapons - Eviscerator

Charge 4: Hit 2 targets within 2 meter radius
Charge 5: Increase melee damage 15% after successful charge
Charge 6: Restore barrier 100%

Barrier 4: Increase damage and radius 30%
Barrier 5: Increase damage and force by 25% while Barrier is active
Barrier 6: Increase power recharge by 30%

Battlemaster 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weapon capacity 30%
Battlemaster 5: Increase headshot damage 20%

Rage 4: Increase melee damage 30%
Rage 5: Increase melee damage 75% after a heavy melee kill
Rage 6: Increase melee damage 30%, lower Krogan Rage to 2 kills

Summary - I can play this character numerous ways, but I find myself using this method the most. Unlike Tech Armor, Fortification & Blade Armor, Barrier can actually be an offensive powerhouse. By detonating barrier, you can float enemies in the air, setting them up for a biotic explosion.

Since Barrier recharges quick enough, Charge will detonate the enemies that aren't killed by the Barrier detonation. Running around with Barrier active all the time isn't a bad idea since you can detonate it any time and still Charge enemies. Having the power recharge penalty lower helps the power as well.

After any charge, heavy melee is all but necessary. Especially if you throw yourself into a crowd. With the highest health in the game, you can take a beating since your shield will recharge 100%. If you find yourself low on shield, charge again to replenish. It should be very difficult for low level enemies to kill a Krogan.

Carnage is only used as a long distance deterrant. I rarely use it, but when I do, it's helpful for area uploads where I can't reach an enemy.

Eviscerator is my choice of weapon. Krogans can carry more and receive more weapon bonuses for their strength, so this makes the Eviscerator recharge at 200%. That is the highest 200% recharge damage weapon in the game. Might as well use it.

Rage is setup for melee'ing. You can set it up for health to bring him up to 1,600 health and shield, but 1,200 is high enough. Might as well go for offensive powers and get into Krogan Rage quicker.
jloco11

Phoenix Vanguard - The class is still relatively new, but I'm comfortable with this setup so far. There is some flexibility in how you want to spend your final points, but that comes at level 20 if you don't plan on promoting.

http://narida.pytalhost.com/me3/classes/#54PQDIM[9@0BE@@
Weapons: Reegar Carbine

Charge 4: Hit 2 targets within 2 meters
Charge 5: Increase weapon damage by 15% after a successful charge
Charge 6: Increase barrier 100%

Smash 4: Add electrical effect that can be detonated, increase damage 50% for 7.5 seconds
Smash 5: Increase recharge speed 40%
Smash 6: Increase effectiveness against armor and barrier 75%

Phoenix 4: Increase power damage 10%, increase weight capacity 20%
Phoenix 5: Increase power damage 15%

Fitness 4: Increase melee damage 30%
Fitness 5: Decrease shield delay 15%
Fitness 6: Increase melee damage 30%, increase power damage 30% after a heavy kill

Summary - Trying to make this class feel different from the Adept was the goal of this loadout. In theory, you can play it exactly like an Adept using Lash & Smash all game long, but that takes away from being a Vanguard. So the class was setup to play as a Vanguard and not an Adept.

Unlike the other human classes, you don't have a follow up power to charge. Instead you have a heavy melee on par with the Krogan, so your follow up power to a charge will be a heavy melee & or Reegar shot. Low level enemies will die from a Charge/Melee combo.

Armored enemies will not die immediately, so the best bet is to light them up with the Reegar after a charge. This is ESPECIALLY important with a Pyro, because in the time it takes you to wind up your melee, he will burn you. Do not melee him until you know for certain he will die.

Maxing out your charge & heavy melee are your top priority, because they will be your most used powers. Keep in mind that your melee is not radial, so charging into a group of enemies will mean certain death. This class should only charge 2-3 enemies at most.

The Reegar is an absolute must have weapon. No weapon will do the amount of persistent damage necessary up close, to allow you to recharge Biotic Charge. You will not survive without it.

I added electrical powers to Smash to combine with the Reegar (which is considered a tech weapon for some reason). You will use this against higher ranked enemies instead of charging like an asshole. You will sacrifice a bit of biotic damage, but Smash and Charge do not combine for biotic explosions anyway.

Lash is your final power and really your only distance power. Considering your class is built for CQC, it's only going to be used when you get stuck doing uploads.
jloco11

Return to Mass Effect