Mayweather v Pacquiao

Mayweather v Pacquiao

Postby krusteh » Wed May 06, 2015 2:25 pm

Who watched Mayweather v Pacquiao?

As my girlfriend is filipina I pretty much had to side with Pacquiao (I have never really been into boxing before this fight, but Manny is quite literally 'the pride of the philippines' so i've taken to it a bit in the last few months.)
However, even if I was not a supporter of either of the guys, after the fight, I definitely would have felt that Pacquiao is the better fighter.

People have been making comparisons between Mayweather and Chelsea, saying that Mayweather is the Chelsea of boxing.
For those that don't understand the comparison, Chelsea (my team) are widely believed to be a highly defensive team that focus more on not conceding a goal and counter attacking to win the game.
Mayweather of course is a counter-puncher, a boxer that prefers to block and dodge and then throw the odd punch when the opponent is caught off guard.

I don't accept this analogy though. The two sports cannot be compared. In football, the aim is to win the game by scoring more goals than the opposition, therefore Chelsea are justified in their tactic by focusing on not allowing the opponent to score, therefore the worst that can happen is a 0-0 draw, rather than a loss.
In boxing, the sport is surely about being the better fighter, the fighter that goes for the knockout, the fighter that imposes themselves upon the other boxer. Mayweather doesn't do this, but he does score points by being very tactical and dodging punches.

Is Mayweather's style of boxing ruining the sport? As a sports fan that doesn't know too much about boxing, I can safely say I would not be a fan of this style if more boxers took to it.

Who do you believe should have won, May or Pac?
krusteh
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Re: Mayweather v Pacquiao

Postby deathbynumbers » Wed May 06, 2015 3:14 pm

I'm imagining that the real winners were the vegas strip clubs.
deathbynumbers

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed May 06, 2015 4:12 pm

I'm not an avid boxing fan nor did I see a lot of the match, but I am interested in how people fight. Heavily defensive approaches are perfectly valid, but it seems like Mayweather takes it a little too far. I think he relies on exploiting Boxing's rules a little too much. It's also bad news if it's common and/or taken to the extreme, or you just get matches with very little actually happening.

It was a shame Pacquiao didn't win, I was hoping he would. I don't particularly like Mayweather and I don't think his unbeaten run is all that impressive when you consider how much influence he has on the circumstances of the match.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby krusteh » Wed May 06, 2015 7:27 pm

I agree. Mayweather manipulates everything in his favour.
Although Mayweather won the title and more money, and kept his shitty little unbeaten streak, he didn't really 'win'.
Pacquiao definitely came out a winner in the eye of joe public, which is probably more important.
krusteh
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby benjiman0 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:37 pm

So I know a wee bit about boxing, I follow most martial arts, and because of that, it's lead me to watching how others fight, or spar, to help me become a smarter fighter.
Leading into the Pacquiao vs. Maywheather fight, Maywheather placed ALL of the conditions on the fight, Pacquiao was not not allowed to contest these conditions, and Maywheather was free to add anything that would ideally help him. That included, an American judging panel, an American ref, a 60/40 split, the location, the weight grade, and many more. So that being said Pacquiao by any man's means was on the wrong foot from the start, and Maywheather would have the upper hand.
Now, focusing on Pacquiao, ever since he became world famous, and was given light to center stage of the boxing world, he has shown nothing but respect for it, respect for where he's gotten to, respect for who he is, and respect for the sport. He isn't only the Philippines champion, but moreso he's the people's champion. There are a select few that dislike him, with Maywheather's core fanbase being some of them.
The fight itself is riddled with controversy, from the scorecards being labelled wrong, to the fighting styles that everyone seems to say was unjustified, to the aftermath of the fight.
However, Maywheater's fighting style was completely justified, although it isn't the way to fight in the boxing ring, as it leads to you getting hit hard when your defence isn't successful, his fighting style in other matches were completely different to that of this one, leading to the frustration.

The thing is about this fight though, was that the majority of people went into this fight wanting Pacquiao to win, and they believed that he would win, which to each to their own, was an awesome thing to see, people truly believing in their sportsmen is all anyone can ask. But had Pacquiao won that match, there would NOWHERE near the amount of hate, and really 'shit' going around after it towards Maywheather, and in every respect, he does not deserve this.

In my own mind, yes, Pacquiao should have won, but upon looking at the match again knowing the outcome, you can clearly see a fighting style by Maywheather be implemented with his upmost precision. He left little gaps for Pacquiao to exploit.
I do think for this fight to have been better, it needed to have a 3rd party making the core rules, and the fighters could not contest these rules. However with it said and done, Maywheather has no gained any respect from this fight by most communities, instead Pacquiao has gained that respect.
Agent TuX owns 24 games worth: $407.78 USD
benjiman0
News Reporter
News Reporter

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed May 06, 2015 10:53 pm

benjiman0 wrote:I follow most martial arts, and because of that, it's lead me to watching how others fight, or spar, to help me become a smarter fighter.
Don't mean to go off topic but may I ask what you study? Always nice to meet other martial artists.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby benjiman0 » Thu May 07, 2015 4:31 am

Musashi1596 wrote:
benjiman0 wrote:I follow most martial arts, and because of that, it's lead me to watching how others fight, or spar, to help me become a smarter fighter.
Don't mean to go off topic but may I ask what you study? Always nice to meet other martial artists.

Currently Tae Kwon-Do, but have done Boxing, Kickboxing, have done little bits of Kung Fu, and Karate... There are ones that I'm missing, but one at a time.
Agent TuX owns 24 games worth: $407.78 USD
benjiman0
News Reporter
News Reporter

Return to Sports!