Lightning Returns... early opinions (SPOILERS)

Re: Lightning Returns... early opinions (SPOILERS)

Postby assassinof1337 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 5:24 am

Finally got the game, just started the second day, and god damn is it some awful shit. Seriously, if the battle system was any less fun, I would have already taken some steel wool to the disc and sent it back to amazon claiming it was damaged on arrival.

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY MANAGE TO MAKE THE STORY MORE CONTRIVED THAN 13-2?!?!? Etro was one thing; if you read into it a little bit, you could at least understand why things happened. Still plot hole central(Etro is near powerless, but is able to save the heros from being crystalized by fal'cie, which were created by her siblings who infinite power? Wut?), and what did make sense was riddled with some of the most retard decisions ever. But at least every event(not including how Serah can control monsters, and the fact that there was a sequel at all) had SOME reason to it, and the stupidity made Caius like an evil genius(even though he actually said exactly what his plans were within the first couple of hours, and did little to actively pursue them).

This shit though, holy fuck. God can't save the current world from the chaos(even though Etro could hold it back and, again, she was supposed to be nearly powerless), but don't worry guys, he can just create a new world and start from scratch! Oh and don't worry, he also decided to make Hope a child again for NO FUCKING REASON! What the actually fucking fuck Square?!?! I don't know whats scarier, the thought that they did this for no reason, or trying to figure out what possible purpose that could serve.

And for fucks sake, if SE tried to bring back all of the previous characters any faster, we would have started with all of them being playable characters! Seriously, I'm a couple of hours in and I have already seen Light, Snow, Hope, Serah, Vanille(How the hell... you know what, at this point the explanation will just be even more confusing), Noel(its pretty damn obvious who the Shadow dude is), and Sazh(wow, some dude needs a gyroscope so he can fly one last time? I wonder who that could be).

Its really sad how bad the story is, considering how much fun the new battle system is. I'm not saying I want every future FF to toss the party system, but its nice to have something different, and its nice having your abilites bound to buttons instead of going through menus to access them(although, again, I hope this doesn't become standard).

All in all its seriously concerning that SE let this game come out. Hopefully they get their shit together again with XV, what with Toriyama not working on it(holy shit how does this guy have a job? XIII is seriously the least criticized project he has lead). But honestly I'm beginning to wonder if this has become a series I need to abandon, because right now I'm running pretty low on faith.
assassinof1337
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Re: Lightning Returns... early opinions (SPOILERS)

Postby jloco11 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:35 pm

assassinof1337 wrote:Finally got the game, just started the second day, and god damn is it some awful shit. Seriously, if the battle system was any less fun, I would have already taken some steel wool to the disc and sent it back to amazon claiming it was damaged on arrival.

HOW THE FUCK DID THEY MANAGE TO MAKE THE STORY MORE CONTRIVED THAN 13-2?!?!? Etro was one thing; if you read into it a little bit, you could at least understand why things happened. Still plot hole central(Etro is near powerless, but is able to save the heros from being crystalized by fal'cie, which were created by her siblings who infinite power? Wut?), and what did make sense was riddled with some of the most retard decisions ever. But at least every event(not including how Serah can control monsters, and the fact that there was a sequel at all) had SOME reason to it, and the stupidity made Caius like an evil genius(even though he actually said exactly what his plans were within the first couple of hours, and did little to actively pursue them).

This shit though, holy fuck. God can't save the current world from the chaos(even though Etro could hold it back and, again, she was supposed to be nearly powerless), but don't worry guys, he can just create a new world and start from scratch! Oh and don't worry, he also decided to make Hope a child again for NO FUCKING REASON! What the actually fucking fuck Square?!?! I don't know whats scarier, the thought that they did this for no reason, or trying to figure out what possible purpose that could serve.

And for fucks sake, if SE tried to bring back all of the previous characters any faster, we would have started with all of them being playable characters! Seriously, I'm a couple of hours in and I have already seen Light, Snow, Hope, Serah, Vanille(How the hell... you know what, at this point the explanation will just be even more confusing), Noel(its pretty damn obvious who the Shadow dude is), and Sazh(wow, some dude needs a gyroscope so he can fly one last time? I wonder who that could be).

Its really sad how bad the story is, considering how much fun the new battle system is. I'm not saying I want every future FF to toss the party system, but its nice to have something different, and its nice having your abilites bound to buttons instead of going through menus to access them(although, again, I hope this doesn't become standard).

All in all its seriously concerning that SE let this game come out. Hopefully they get their shit together again with XV, what with Toriyama not working on it(holy shit how does this guy have a job? XIII is seriously the least criticized project he has lead). But honestly I'm beginning to wonder if this has become a series I need to abandon, because right now I'm running pretty low on faith.

Oh, and the story will make less sense later on. Of course I won't spoil it, but I will say that SE tries to tie all 3 games together later in the story, and will fail dramatically. When you see their explanation, you'll probably have the same reaction I had:

This face, thinking "Are they fucking serious?"
jloco11

Previous

Return to Final Fantasy XIII