Fav. FF title and most hated.

Re: Fav. FF title and most hated.

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:52 pm

Final Fantasy IX isn't getting much love here, so I feel it is my duty to address this what with it being possibly my favourite of the series. And it is one of my favourite games ever. So I'll do my best to give a counter argument to everything aimed its way as well as just a quick run down as to why I enjoy it so much.

For one I love the setting, most of the Final Fantasies on Playstation have many futuristic sci-fi elements to them, but FFIX is pure fantasy all the way. Nice to have a break from the usual in that respect.
But most importantly it has a big dose of comedy in there while being able to tell the story at the same time. The first half of the game has so many amusing moments, few games are brave enough to try and make people laugh, as it takes a fair bit of skill, but I think this one does it very well.

The main character as well is a nice break from the usual protagonist. Usually they are so serious and grumpy with the other characters being needed to break through that hard emotional shell, so they can remind them that people care about them and maybe it is alright to smile once in a while. Zidane is very different, happy-go-lucky, always giving advice to those who need it, telling jokes and playing pranks.. just a really fun person but at the same time shows he cares for the people he's with and does everything he can to look after them. He has a strong personality, and I think that's worth a lot, as few games bother with that.

Now it's often mentioned that Necron, the final enemy you fight is rubbish as that's the first time you've seen or heard of him. I appreciate what people say here, but he is definitely not the main antagonist of the game, that is clearly Kuja, who I think i built up very well throughout.
I think the problem with Square is they felt they must always have multiple boss battles at the end, to make a game all the more epic. But simply having you fight Kuja over and over, it's a little too obvious considering it had already been done in the previous two games with those respective antagonists.
So instead they put in Necron who I believe is best described as a manifestation or perhaps even a anthropomorphic personification of Kuja's muderous ordeals and hateful ways. Necron states on his arrival that he is there to reduce everything to nothing due to Kuja's actions so I think that is a fair conclusion, but unfortunately it isn't explained very well. Seems he's not one for long conversations. But if you think about it, pretty much all the evil in the game comes back to Kuja, it's all ultimately his fault. All the damage done by Brahne Raza Alexandros XVI was mostly due to Kuja's manipulation of her after all.

Regardless, I think it's difficult to fault Kuja who leaves a trail of destruction throughout the game.
As for Quinna, he's mainly just there for some more comic relief, and personally I think it works very well. There is pretty much no depth to his character or personality but I don't think there's meant to be.
And Amarant, I agree he's a weak side character, I think all he really does is prove that Zidane can see the good in pretty much anyone and is prepared to forgive their mistakes and give them another chance.

Many of the characters I felt were very believable and I connected with them a lot more than in other games, their personailities and ideals shone through. All of them have various weaknesses as we all do, but with help from their friends they will fight for what they believe in.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby Musashi1596 » Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:29 pm

Amarant wasn't a particularly well developed character but nonetheless I liked him. I also liked Zidane, his tail just annoyed me sometimes. Kuja certainly is the de facto villain, and a good one if you can ignore his fashion sense, it just bothers me that they pulled the Necron switcheroo unnecessarily. It was only really VII that had you fight the antagonist several times; with VIII, I think, you fight other Sorceresses from history before fighting her GF, Griever. Which, incidentally, is one of the things that really drive the fan theory that she's actually Rinoa. Anyway, I can understand why they did it, just not necessarily agree with it. Fighting Necron felt a bit anticlimatic to me. Don't get me wrong though, I love the game, just prefer the other PS1 titles.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby assassinof1337 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:28 am

Musashi1596 wrote:with VIII, I think, you fight other Sorceresses from history before fighting her GF, Griever.

The other sorceresses are right when you enter time compression. The final boss was Ultimecia, which was four stages: Ultimecia, Griever, Ultimecia and Griever combined(literally), and "super" Ultimecia. Technically Griever is actually Squall's GF as well, she just draws it from his mind.

And no, I don't know that off the top of my head, FF wikia FTW.
assassinof1337
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:11 am

assassinof1337 wrote:
Musashi1596 wrote:with VIII, I think, you fight other Sorceresses from history before fighting her GF, Griever.

The other sorceresses are right when you enter time compression. The final boss was Ultimecia, which was four stages: Ultimecia, Griever, Ultimecia and Griever combined(literally), and "super" Ultimecia. Technically Griever is actually Squall's GF as well, she just draws it from his mind.

And no, I don't know that off the top of my head, FF wikia FTW.
Man, it has been a while since I played the game. Fair enough. Not sure about Griever though, it is possible it's hers. I think the info from the scan indicates Squall's own opinion of it, rather than where she summoned it from. Still, all highly open to interpretation.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:11 pm

I had a long post about FF9 and then lost it :x Not gonna write the whole thing, so I will recap:

FF series have geared towards mystical, spiritual, life energy driven stories, (ie, weird japanese shit that doesn't make sense in English) that set the overall arc of the story. Mako energy to destroy the planet, Gaia dying and colliding with another world, space time continuum all fucked up, zanarkand dead combining memories... it's more than just an unwitting main character getting thrown into a major pissing match.

Prior FF games were more along the lines of medieval castles, dragons, knights and what not. Since FF7 and FF8 got away from that, FF9 tried to rekindle old FF games, with complex themes.

So it ran into a bit of an identity crisis. Was it a kindgoms & castles game? Was it a weird JRPG game? Was it supposed to turn from kingdoms and castles to alien planets with a transgender white haired alien that looks like a fashion stylist as the bad guy?

And with FF8's "real" people, in other words, no non-human characters you really dealt with... FF9 has always felt out of place. Trying to give the old FF games a salute by showing it's origins was nice, but it didn't mesh as well as FF12 did with the kingdoms and knights idea.

But the long part of my message was regarding the sidequests, with the book guide. WORST MISTAKE EVER!!!! I almost feel the need to redo that post just talk about that, but I will just say that the idea was 10 years ahead of it's time... but AT the time of release, that guide was the most awful thing on the planet when you combined that with the horrible side quests FF9 introduced.
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:23 pm

Heh, until XII, IX's was the only FF strategy guide I owned and it was fucking awful. Half the damn book was just telling you to put a code in at Play Online.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:33 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:Heh, until XII, IX's was the only FF strategy guide I owned and it was fucking awful. Half the damn book was just telling you to put a code in at Play Online.

HOLY FUCKING SHIT... that was my issue with the book!!!!

I bought all the FF guides for second playthroughs, to go back and find all the side missions I missed or couldn't figure out on my own. Campaign wasn't an issue, it was always the side missions that I wanted to complete.

And back then, the internet wasn't in every fucking house. Not everyone had a phone, ipad, laptop and shit. Usually you had a PC, and the big shits too with a bubble screen and not a flat screen.

So why would I buy a book, only to have to go online to get the answers?!?!?!?!?!?!!? I wanted to fucking kill someone over that. I can't believe they would do something so incredibly fucking stupid.

And the side missions in FF9 were terrible.
"find this picture on the world map" The fuck I look like, Carmen San Diego???
"play this card game to win more cards" Do you want to see my pokemonz too? Shit at least FF8's card game was easily understood, not this clusterfuck!
"fight a planet as the super boss" oh fuck yeah! A gigantic seizure inducing colored boss that was a planet. No arms, no legs... just a planet.

By the way, if you were to take my Techno Kitty Adventure HFC video, turn that into a sphere, you get Ozma the super boss.
jloco11

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:48 pm

Must admit I usually gave up on the side quests in FFIX, they would start off somewhat interesting, and then I would quickly lose interest and go back to the main game. Kuja's dress sense is pretty out there but he still establishes himself as someone you don't want to mess with. He's no Sephiroth though, that dude was pretty terrifying as well as badass.

FF12 did the knights very well I agree, I really liked that about it. You knew when a knight turned up, or Judge I think they were called, they would be a seriously tough opponent, so you had to mentally prepare yourself. As a side note, I never saw Vaan as being the main character, yes you start the game with him and go round the towns and stuff as him for a while, but he's not really that important to the plot compared to other members in your party when things start to really get going. Plus I found him far less annoying then Tidus.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby jloco11 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Lieutenant Fatman wrote:Must admit I usually gave up on the side quests in FFIX, they would start off somewhat interesting, and then I would quickly lose interest and go back to the main game. Kuja's dress sense is pretty out there but he still establishes himself as someone you don't want to mess with. He's no Sephiroth though, that dude was pretty terrifying as well as badass.

FF12 did the knights very well I agree, I really liked that about it. You knew when a knight turned up, or Judge I think they were called, they would be a seriously tough opponent, so you had to mentally prepare yourself. As a side note, I never saw Vaan as being the main character, yes you start the game with him and go round the towns and stuff as him for a while, but he's not really that important to the plot compared to other members in your party when things start to really get going. Plus I found him far less annoying then Tidus.

Vaan and Tidus are like long lost brothers. But at least Tidus had something to do with the story! Vaan was just....... there. I have no reason why this blond fucktard without a shirt was part of the game. Basch & Ashe had the most poignant parts of the game. Balthier also could have easily been considered the star of the game since his father was the one creating all the inventions from magicite.

Take away Vaan's brother getting killed by the twin judge, and he has no purpose. After he decides not to kill Basch, that's it, go home kid! No more business left for you or Penelo, other than you're taking up a spot on my roster. Bunnygirl was at least eye candy.

Imagine if Hope from FF13 was made the main star of the game? I would have gone apeshit.
jloco11

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Wed Apr 24, 2013 7:13 pm

lol, well the thing is with Hope and Tidus, they moaned every thirty seconds about how terrible their life was, got a bit teary eyed and then moaned some more. And we were all waiting for someone to come along and at the very least give them a slap, or tell them to shut the hell up, but dissapointingly it never happened. At least Vaan doesn't go round moaning and feeling sorry for himself. But I do agree I was thinking to myself a couple of times, why the smeg is this kid still here? Haha.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

PreviousNext

Return to Final Fantasy