Fav. FF title and most hated.

Re: Fav. FF title and most hated.

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun May 05, 2013 3:47 pm

You know, was thinking yet again about the potential for remakes of the PS1 games. I've already established that I think it's utter BS that it would be prohibitively expensive, but it occurred to me.

Imagine how successful it would be if they took a VII remake to Kickstarter.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun May 05, 2013 6:37 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:You know, was thinking yet again about the potential for remakes of the PS1 games. I've already established that I think it's utter BS that it would be prohibitively expensive, but it occurred to me.

Imagine how successful it would be if they took a VII remake to Kickstarter.

I'd give it two hours before it was funded, if that.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby jloco11 » Mon May 06, 2013 2:53 pm

I think SquareEnix knows that no matter what they do, they will never capture lightning in a bottle the way they did 15 years ago.

Hell, they re-released the game on PSN, and while it sold well, it didn't make new players go out and buy the game. I think if they remade it, and gave it a graphical update or better yet, a restart from scratch with current gen graphics, it would lose the appeal it had years ago.

Then you have to consider dialogue, voice actors (because convo bubbles no longer exist in games!) and the inevitable battle system change because RPG's have surpassed turn by turn battle systems.

If anything, release the updated game, and on the same disc, have the original version of the game. Hell, make it mandatory to play both on the disc for a trophy or something haha. To earn Cloud's Ultima Sword, you must complete the original FF7 to get it!
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon May 06, 2013 3:15 pm

I don't really agree to be honest. I think the majority of fans will be perfectly happy for it to retain dialogue boxes and the turn based battle system. I think spoken dialogue would only work properly if they used the same actors they did for Advent Children. In fact I would wager that a lot of people would be pissed if they would change it. But to be honest they would just have to change the pacing of the battle system to appeal more to today's audience; XIII nailed the balance between turn based and speed.

Even the original let you change the battle pacing; most people played on the default, which was strictly turn based, but don't forget there was the ATB system which meant an enemy wouldn't wait around for you to make your selection. Random encounters can be annoying, but there's no need to get rid of them. I don't imagine there are many looking for a major rehaul of the game. We just want it to look nicer and have trophies. Hell, they can even keep the super-deformed character models. Allowing choices between using a new version and keeping the old style would be ideal.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby jloco11 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:19 pm

Nostalgic fans might not mind it keeping some original qualities... but look at it like this. After 15 years, 3 separate console iterations and 2 media upgrades (dvd's & blu rays), if all SE did was update graphics, why should someone spend $60-70 on the new version when they can just buy and play the PSN version?

I mean if all they're doing is updating graphics without updating the game by 15 years, why bother in the first place? Think of the number of younger players who never played FF7 or earlier, and then have them compare current RPG'ish games to FF7. Compare Fable, Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Fallout and Oblivion to just a graphically updated game with 15 year old gameplay that might be older than the player!!!

Re-making that game has all the potential for failure written all over it, which is why I think SE hasn't done it yet. If you update the game, you piss off the nostalgic fans. If you leave the game as is with just some graphics, you alienate current players wondering why they're playing such an outdated game.

Hence, why I say do the best of both worlds. Leave the original on disc for the nostalgic fans (maybe with some updates or at a minimum, update the cutscenes with newer graphics)... and then produce a re-imagined FF7, that rivals current gen RPG's.
jloco11

Postby Musashi1596 » Mon May 06, 2013 4:31 pm

I never said it would be just the graphics, I just said they wouldn't necessarily have to change the battle mechanics or add voice acting, though both would be welcome. Especially if they were optional. I've long been of the mindset that more player choice in RPGs is long overdue. The graphical update alone would be a big sell; lots of modern gamers are douchetards like EP who can't wrap their head around the polygon era of gaming and they might struggle to play the original. Then bear in mind there are other barriers like the original not supporting analogue control. But you could add things like new sidequests such as new games in the Golden Saucer, new music (just look at Voices of the Lifestream), that sort of thing, to keep it fresh. But I imagine seeing the game in HD would be enough for most.

It's funny you should mention Fallout because to a lot of series fans, myself included, it stands as one of the stronger examples of how not to reboot. The originals look outdated, they have primitive AI and whatnot. The new games changed that (well, not the primitive AI) but that didn't make them better. They instead implemented shitty combat that did not work with VATS at all, they came out with a crappy storyline, samey environments that were actually a regression in some ways... Ask any fan of the series who played the original games properly and they will tell you that in aiming at the new generation, they screwed over the existing fanbase. And it's not just nostalgia speaking; I played the original games after I finished both 3 and New Vegas. They were just better. Point I'm trying to make is, old design is not bad design, and it can be updated without dramatically changing it. Fact is, an FF7 remake would be aimed at existing fans, and that would constitute more than enough of a solid target demographic.

If I could point to a perfect remake it would be the Streets of Rage remake; which, I might add, was fanmade. New graphics, new music, new features, but it felt like the same game. Which is precisely what the fans wanted.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Final Fantasy