Getting a FF game.

Getting a FF game.

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:56 am

Which game would you think would be the best one to pick up? I have not ever played the series, but saw the twelfth game in the series and loved it. I've heard the best game is FF6 (which is 3 in the US) for Super Nintendo, but I wanted to hear otherwise.
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Re: Getting a FF game.

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:19 am

I've played 1, 2, a bit of 3, 4, 7, a bit of 8, 12 and 13.

1 was good. There wasn't much storyline, but the GBA remake which I played had a lot of optional dungeons and stuff for you to do, some of which were really enjoyable.

2 has a weird levelling system which I didn't really like, but aside from that it was enjoyable. Your stats increased based on your battles, so finishing a lot of battles with little health would increase your health. The GBA remake I played had an extra thing post-game dungeon.

I played the DS remake of 3 but couldn't really seem to get into it. I really enjoyed 4, despite not being able to beat the final boss on it. From what I remember it had a good plot with interesting characters and a couple of challenging bosses.

7 is the one that everyone talks about. I liked the materia system and all of the optional battles and side-quests. Leveling up your abilities seemed to take forever in some cases (Knights of the Round, for instance, I only managed to get up to level 2 out of 5), and some of the summoning animations were a tad long (Knights of the Round, for instance), but it's a good game. Possibly my favourite in terms of characters.

I haven't really got far enough with 8 to give any proper opinion about it, but Mushi will tell it's the best of the series and should be played by everyone.

12 had a brilliant battle system. You could have the entire thing be automated if you wanted to. The only downside for me was the fact that it had an item where to obtain it you had to follow some very specific instructions (which are unknown to you at the time), or kill enemies who have a miniscule chance of dropping it.

I disliked 13's linearity and about half of its characters. Only Fang and Lightning were really any good, the rest were annoying. The game improved a lot once you'd beaten the final boss and had free reign to explore, but getting to that stage took ages.

Personally I'd go for 4, 7 or 12, but I haven't played the other FF games at all.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Musashi1596 » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:13 pm

OK, let's see...
Sideways is pretty much spot on about 1 & 2. The rest I haven't played properly up to 7, although I have just bought 6, which I need to play through. I gather that many say it has the best storyline; I can't really say anything about that unfortunately. 7 is great and a good introduction to the series I think, at least, it was for me.

I'd also call it a 'safer' option than 8. Again Sideways is right, I stand by 8 as being the best in the series, but it's also highly divisive. I hate to bring in an overused metaphor, but it's like marmite; love it or hate it. Moreso than any other FF game it's very character driven. It's got a lot of unique mechanics; equipping magic to raise your stats (junctioning), drawing magic from enemies, and enemies that scale to your level to name a few. I quite like the latter, as it means you can't just power-level in one area and then stomp through the rest of the game. It also has Tetra Master, which is the greatest minigame ever. I particularly love the setting and music.

9 is the first modern, 3D FF to go back to the high fantasy setting, and it too is very good. It's not one of my favourites, partially due to what I remember as a largely unengaging cast, bar a couple of characters (some of the best being only minor characters) It has a great abilities system. though, and an otherwise good plot.

10 was decent but probably my least favourite. Annoying protagonist, and annoying support characters, an interesting but highly flawed character development system, a clusterfuck of a story, and some ridiculous conditions for getting characters' best weapons. On the other hand it's a nice game world, it has Auron in it, Blitzball is fun until you get too good at it, and to be honest I don't have much more. I will play it again when it's released in HD though, if it actually happens.

10-2 was wholly unnecessary, and had a poor story and very limited characters; two of which you were propbably sick of from 10, though I like newcomer Paine. It's not brilliant, but neither is it as bad as B will tell you it is though. It has a pretty good battle system. It's just more suited to running small quests and is rather unconventional.

11 is an MMO, never played it.

Again he's right about 12, although I would like to emphasis how bad it is to grind for certain components, some of which have like a 1% drop rate. I didn't like the story, which is far more political than that of other games, but it had (mostly) good characters, and interestingly, no one main protagonist. The game world is stunning and allows for plenty of exploration, really don't have many bad words about it. Also has a boss with 12 million HP!

13 I had a love/hate relationship with. Loved it at first, then hated it for a while, then loved it again near the end once it finally opened. The linearity really can be crushing at times, making it a very different FF game. On the other hand, this lets it focus on the story and character development. The battle system is pretty good; while it makes mook battles into 'press X to win' affairs (which may be a good thing if you're just trying to get through an area) the stronger boss fights can be truly intense affairs sometimes. I didn't dislike the characters as much as Sideways; Hope is an annoying little shit and Vanille is almost as bad sometimes, but the rest are OK, and I rank Lightning and particularly Fang as amongst my series favourites. The story is very good too, and the game world is outright beautiful sometimes, but if you don't like linearity then you'll hate the game.

13-2 I reviewed here. viewtopic.php?f=160&t=103200 It appears to need some editing.

Even though my favourite is 8, I suggest you start with 7 and work your way up.
Musashi1596
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:23 pm

Musashi1596 wrote:... although I have just bought 6, which I need to play through.

FUCK. I missed the sale didn't I? Bugger. Knew I was forgetting something.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Arnold Sideways » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:27 pm

A couple of other notes about 13:

Has some of the best cinematics I've ever seen in a video game. I watched them in HD and it was glorious. Snow is annoying ('SERAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'), Hope is useless and annoying, Sazh is unintenionally creepy at times (his chocobo steals the show for me though) but isn't quite as annoying, and Vanille was only in my party on the grounds of her not being Snow, Sazh or Hope.
Arnold Sideways
Gunnery Sergeant
Gunnery Sergeant

Postby Lieutenant Fatman » Sun Feb 10, 2013 3:47 pm

My favourites are 7, 9 and 12. They were incredible for most of the game. I really enjoyed 8 and 10 as well but there are some more obvious weak points for those. 13 was alright but for me it's the weakest Final Fantasy game yet in every way. Shiny graphics do not make a great game.
Lieutenant Fatman
First Lieutenant
First Lieutenant

Postby A7XDrumCovers » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks everybody! Ill have to find a way to get FF7, since I can't get it on the PS Store ATM because I don't have a PS3 now :P ill have to go on Amazon.
A7XDrumCovers
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Return to Final Fantasy