Settled Dust

Ax speaks, you listen

Settled Dust

Postby Axikal » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:52 pm

Dusk was setting over the city of Rust Falls. In the dying brush, a rattlesnake raised an alarm as a foot fell close by. Staring angrily at the intruder, the scaly, dead-eyed face followed the footsteps as they trailed off into the distance. It turned slowly, then slithered off to parts unknown.

Eddie shambled painfully towards the city limits, to a small section known as "Olviado". Various emaciated corpses stared emptily at him as he passed them by. Small mountains of trash kept them warm as the night wrapped the town in its icy grasp. A small child-like figure began to follow him, tugging at his tattered, dark beige coat every few steps. Eddie turned and laid a vicious eye upon the grotesque creature, causing it to shriek and shrink back. Turning away, he reached into his pocket and produced a shimmering item, then cast it behind him. The creature leapt upon it and scurried back to its owners, proudly displaying the new treasure.
  Soon, other figures began to appear from the shadows -- theirs blanketing the small being\'s frame in darkness. One would wish it had been quick, but, Eddie trundled off towards the eastern blocks of Olviado, amidst the screams that paved the dessicated world behind him. Looking back for a brief moment, the shambling shadows began to depart; their prize won, the gore of their quarry strewn amongst the litter and debris. No one seemed to care. They just laid there, and died.
  The dusty, decaying ruins of Olviado surrounded him; a maze of worn metal, crumbling brick, and cracked dirt. It hadn\'t changed since he\'d last set foot in town. He coughed out a cloud of reddened dust from his lungs and turned the corner. The wind was starting to pick up and he pulled his coat tighter. He pushed the worn brim of his hat down over his eyes to avoid getting debris in them. Taking up residence against a wall, he waited out the storm. As the waves of speckled chaff flew by, he remembered a song his father used to sing to him as a child.

"The world is grey. I know they\'ll put me into the ground at the end of the day. The world is cold. Like my fathers before me, I shall not live to grow old. With her by my side. I will soon lay by my brothers for whom I have died. They will know my name. They will know my name."

The sound of Eddie\'s voice, sullen and deep, echoed through the grimy streets. The wind kicked up pockets of flesh, trash, and chipped ground -- along with his voice -- and carried them down the dark alleyways. The only lights around him, were those of the fires the creatures of this town had set. As he leaned against the wall, he stared off into the darkness. They had lit their remaining clothes on fire and were warming their naked frames with the heat. The wind howled, ripped against the iron choked wasteland. The world was far greyer than his father ever knew.
  Eddie coughed again and the cloud of red was denser than before. He pulled his clothing in tight and braved the storm. Darting out from his haven, he made his way through the worst sections of Olviado. The Forgotten. The despised and hated of Rust Falls. He knew these streets like the back of his hand. He should, after all, he had lived here decades ago. Back in a time when the landscape was lively, blossoming, full.

A small sign hung on rusty metal coils. It swayed in the wind with a loud creak; it was a familiar sound to Eddie, as the proprietor never saw fit to fix it. He crashed into the door of the shop, and stared around. In the corner was a small fire, in front of which was an old oak chair. Seated in the chair, was a tangle of dirty grey hair. In the fire light, it took on the likening of a burning shrub. How ironic, thought Eddie to himself and he shuffled over to the figure.
  It stood up and faced him with the shriveled face of someone long forgotten, yet closely familiar. His eyes, set close together, stared back dreamily through clouded brown irises. He stroked his thinning beard with thoughtfulness and exclaimed through raspy voice:

"Eddie... you son of a bitch..."

The sun was looming high amongst the clouds. The ground baked and fried in the dessicating heat. Clouds rolled by, amplifying the power of the Heavenly fire when they had gone, and sending lizards to seek refuge under the rocks. Thorogood wiped the water from his lips and lowered his canteen. Beside him stood his brother Vic.
  Thorogood was a thinly built man, who stood 6 feet in height. His skin, a dark pink, fit in well with his dark red attire. Around his neck hung a necklace made of incisors and razor wire. He shifted a toothpick from one corner of his mouth to the other; a nervous habit he had acquired over the years. A thin beard and mustache creeped around his mouth and chin.
  Vic stood facing West. Shielding his eyes with his hand, he scanned the wastelands of River County; an ironic name, as there were no active rivers for miles, if any at all. Clad in black and grey, Vic fingered a double-barreled .45 Colt, holstered on his right side. Vic was shorter than his brother by four inches, but filled out a little more than Thorogood.

"Where do you think he went?" Vic turned towards Thorogood.

"If I know him, the bastard went west."

"Vic, are you sure? West? But that\'s..."

"Yeah, brother. That\'s home. He probably went to see Barker."

Thorogood laughed. "Barker? Isn\'t he dead by now?"

"Knowing him, no. He was always too damn stubborn to die properly. But, if he went to see Barker... then we\'ll just have to change his attitude."

Thorogood ran his hand along his rifle and shifted his weight to his left. "What should we do with him when we DO find him?"

Vic turned to face Thorogood. "We\'ll make him pay for what he did to Dhalia. A hundred-fold..."

The brothers smiled and turned to the West. Ahead of them, lay the outlying village of Constance. Beyond that, Rust Falls awaited, like a cloud of death, and decay. Vic smiled at the fortunes of Fate, leading them back to where it all had started. You took something precious from our little sister. Now we\'re going to take it from you. We\'re coming for you... Eddie.

*       *       *

Barker stared at the man in front of him. Dressed in dark beige, coat torn and tattered, eyes ablaze like the fire in the corner, and bleeding from a sucking wound in his left side; here was Eddie. Barker walked into the back and produced a kit. He grabbed out of it a suture and needle.

"Damnit son. You\'ve gone and done it to yourself good this time. What do you have to say for yourself..?"

Eddie just stared at him, gasping for breath. His wound had begun to affect him, and the world was streadily changing from grey to black. Barker walked around the counter and grabbed ahold of Eddie.

"Eddie... I know you didn\'t come home to stay long. You have somewhere to be don\'t you? Where the hell are you going?"

Eddie stared back at his friend, and as the world of blackness engulfed him, he muttered two words that chilled Barker to the core:

"Los Roches..."

Axikal
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Re: Settled Dust

Postby GoD_GraveDancer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:03 am

[size=150:13ini0en]See, now Im curious . . .

Great writing there, Ax.
[/size]
GoD_GraveDancer
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Axikal » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:15 am

[quote="GoD_GraveDancer":3drin2uo][size=150:3drin2uo]See, now Im curious . . .

Great writing there, Ax.
[/size][/quote]Glad you enjoyed it Grave. What you see here is actually a part of an eventual novel. This is essentially a rough draft in its own rights.

Axikal
Lieutenant 3
Lieutenant 3

Postby jessica101 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:08 am

Come on Ax, you can\'t just leave this one there, more please. I want to know what happened in Los Roches. Great stuff, more soon - PLEASE :D
jessica101
Major 2
Major 2

Postby majorrodriguez » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:29 pm

Great Writing Ax!
James Rock - @MajorRod
Senior Community Manager of @Gamerating
Writer for @Gamerplex
Call of Duty VIP - Activision
Future student at Full Sail University for MA in Game Design
majorrodriguez
Sergeant 3
Sergeant 3

Postby thetruemarine » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:27 pm

Great writing Ax!
thetruemarine
Lieutenant 2
Lieutenant 2

Postby GoD_Dawnrunner » Fri Sep 25, 2009 12:52 am

I like it so far!  I get the feeling this story gets much better and much longer!
GoD_Dawnrunner
Rob Hansen
Long Live The Gamerz!
GoD_Dawnrunner
Gunnery Sergeant 2
Gunnery Sergeant 2

Return to Legendary Words